OT clumsy shill bidding

ebay 390524781882
click on bids
click on "show automatic bids"
click on each of the two low feedback score bidders "fighting it out" whilst pushing the early bidder up.
see the changing of successive bid increments by +/- 50p trying to feel for the early bidders max bid?
flEabay indeed
Jim K
Add pictures here
✖

I haven't bothered to look at these bids but I will observe that in general, things would be lot simpler if people just bid their maximum and then sat back rather than fannying around upping their bids.
--
Mike Barnes

Add pictures here
✖

mmm you don;t really get this do you?
Better to use a sniping service last thing.... as is shurely obvious, bidding early is dumb.
Jim K
Add pictures here
✖
In article

Indeed. You bid your maximum at the last minute. Anything else is for saps.
--
Tim

✖
On Jan 11, 11:07 pm, Tim Streater wrote:

Depends. I often put in a minimum bid on something. If someone else gets it, then as a collector I'm just happy that someone has it and it hasn't ended up in the bin.
And there'll probably be another along next year.
Owain
Add pictures here
✖

Other than making a single bid to prevent the seller from removing the item from sale.
--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
✖
On 12/01/2013 05:13, usenet2012 wrote:

Since when did that ever stop anybody?
--
David

Add pictures here
✖

Have you sold anything on Ebay?
If you list something for sale by auction & no one has made a bid towards the end of the listing it is possible to end the listing early to avoid selling at a very low price. However if there has been a bid then you have to let the auction run its course.
--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
✖
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 05:13:19 +0000, usenet2012

I've noticed the Germans do that a lot, as well as a second bid to signal they want it, I suppose.
Add pictures here
✖

also used by shillers using low start prices to save themselves listing fees "99p start" with an early/immediate covering bid, if no- one shows up by 25 hours before "auction" end there will regularly be another bid by same "bidder" to insure against the item going too cheap.
One can if one dares, push this covering bid up (like a shiller would). The shiller, naturally, will never pay for the goods and sale will be cancelled for some flaky reason and no-one will be any the wiser...
Jim K
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/01/2013 23:07, Tim Streater wrote:

Agree I put my Maximum bid a sniping tool on my phone, and leave it at that, I win or I don't .... advantage is I don't get tempted to increase at last moment. With more & more people using sniping s/w ... there can be significant volume of bids in last 5 sec
Add pictures here
✖
Jim K wrote:

The way eBay auctions are run, that's true. I'm quite surprised they haven't experimented with different types of auction, e.g. a single sealed bid format, where no-ones' bid is revealed until the end, no point in people trying to create multiple accounts as they'd out-bid themselves, it would make genuine bidders *think* what they were willing to pay for an item, rather than see if they could sneakily get something cheap ... you only get a bargain if nobody else wants it.
Add pictures here
✖

Some others have tho, particularly extending the closing time when there are last minute bids. It didn't really help much at all.

That is seen in other areas with tenders most obviously.

Trouble is that that's very common with those who flog their stuff using ebay as an alternative to buy nows etc.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 07:35:46 +0000, Andy Burns

You might find that this results in items being sold at lower prices. Ebay wouldn't want that.
I use a tool called JBidWatcher to do the sniping for me.
--
(\__/) M.
✖

I think I do.

True. I'd have mentioned bidding late if I thought it was relevant. There is a vague connection (but no more than that) in that if you bid *very* late there's no time to up your bid. Using sniping software is a good idea if you're a frequent bidder and you're used to the software and you're keeping it up to date in line with changes to the eBay site. Otherwise a late manual bid might be more reliable.
--
Mike Barnes

Add pictures here
✖
On 12/01/2013 09:38, Mike Barnes wrote:

Yes but you won't want to top up your bid at that point - because that's when you *do* bid the maximum amount you're prepared to pay (assuming it's not already above that point); then win or lose you're guaranteed to be happy.
If you bid early, how can you *possibly* end up paying less than if you bid late?
Assuming I'm able to bid in the dying seconds, I would never bid more than once on an auction.
--
David

Add pictures here
✖

Actually I *never* want to top up my bid at any point, ever.

I *always* bid the maximum I'm prepared to pay. No exceptions.
I don't know why you're banging on about timing, which I agree is important, but I never mentioned it because it's not relevant to the point I was making. There are good reasons for bidding late, but sometimes it's not possible, and I bid early. Regardless of timing, I only bid once, I recommend that others do the same, and that's the (only) point I was making.
--
Mike Barnes

Add pictures here
✖
Mike Barnes wrote:

If everyone bid once, early there'd be no need for late bids; but everyone doesn't so there is.
Add pictures here
✖

there was a point? I thought you were banging on about placing one highest bid ? the timing of when that is placed makes you a halfwit mug or a potential winner...

I suggest you look into "auctionsniper.com"
I have NEVER had to update anything in mumble years, so IME bidding late is not only ALWAYS possible, it's childsplay, why would anyone not?
Jim K
Add pictures here
✖

That was the point. The OP described a situation where bidders were "fighting it out". That's what I was responding to. If you only place one bid, there is no "fighting it out". *Regardless* of when you place that bid.

That's simplistic and irrelevant. There is no "fighting it out" if you only bid once, whether that bid is placed early or late. That's all I'm saying. Yes, timing is important, but it's not what I was talking about.
--
Mike Barnes

Add pictures here
✖