OT clumsy shill bidding

but I never >mentioned it because it's not relevant to the >point I was making. There are good reasons for >bidding late, but sometimes it's not possible, >*and I bid early*.

My arterixes.

Perhaps that reminds you of when you said you bid early?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

[5 lines snipped]

And do you think calling people "mugs" and "cretins" is going to achieve anything other than them killfiling you and hoping you die of bladder cancer?

Appropriate sig.

Reply to
Huge

appropriate shrug

spade is a spade, sensitive types needn't respond

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Enjoy your bladder cancer.

Reply to
Huge

? troll?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

You might find that this results in items being sold at lower prices. Ebay wouldn't want that.

I use a tool called JBidWatcher to do the sniping for me.

Reply to
Mark

"There is a vague connection (but no more than that) in that if you bid

*very* late there's no time to up your bid. "

But that is a very important distinction. If you bid very late then you rea= lly do bid your maximum because the seller cannot shill bid you (he knows t= here is no time for you to revise it). If you bid earlier the seller can s= hill bid you and raise you up to just beyond your maximum knowing that you = have time to add just one more increment.

Reply to
RobertL

"There is a vague connection (but no more than that) in that if you bid

*very* late there's no time to up your bid. "

But that is a very important distinction. If you bid very late then you really do bid your maximum because the seller cannot shill bid you (he knows there is no time for you to revise it). If you bid earlier the seller can shill bid you and raise you up to just beyond your maximum knowing that you have time to add just one more increment.

Far be it from me to add anything but I got caught on this a couple of years ago. I stopped bidding and then started putting in late bids. Late bidding does stop this but it also means you have to be around ( snipes don't always work)

Something I came across recently ( buying a gift for mum - only place I could get it) was being bid up on the item ( including being sniped in the last three minutes!) Only then to be sent an e mail telling me the highest bidder had pulled out and I could have the item for my previous highest bid.

I am damn sure it was a scam by the seller to get my highest bid price ( and having calculated over it) ended up giving me a " second chance"

Ebay is not honest. Use it if you have to but be aware they do all sorts on there and get away with it.

Reply to
sweetheart

Its fairly obvious that the shill bidder can put in a maximum bid and that will cause anyone putting in a bid later, even 1 second before the end, to have their bid increased up to the shills maximum unless the shill has bid too much.

Reply to
dennis

How can you bid beyond your maximum? If you bid higher, you re-define your maximum.

Reply to
polygonum

I did not see any shill bidding in 390524781882. I see a biddier who was nibble bidding trying to outbid someone else's proxy. Shill bidders often have a lot of retractions. The two bidders do not have any retractions.

It is not unusual for people, usually new members, to see shill bidding where none exists.

Reply to
FilmNoirFan