Low-profile ceiling fan with lamps

I am looking for a ceiling fan, with lamps, to fit on quite a low ceiling (about 7.5 feet) in my bedroom, so that it's close to the ceiling surface and to avoid being decapitated when I leap joyously out of bed every morning to go to work. Just wondered if anyone can recommend any makes, models, suppliers, websites etc.?

Thanks!

Reply to
A.Clews

More than you could shake a stick here

The Medway Handyman

>> --

Blimey - there are some ugly things still for sale! Almost in the same time warp as circular fluorescent luminaires. I understand the OP's concern about them hanging low. I think I will continue to open the window for a draught.

Reply to
John

Thus spake The Medway Handyman ( snipped-for-privacy@no-spam-blueyonder.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

- still looks a bit limited for choice on the type I'm looking for, but a few possibilities nevertheless.

Reply to
A.Clews

Thus spake John ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Aren't there just! It's like the designers think everyone lives in New Orleans brothels.

I'll still do that anyway, but on a hot, still August night a fan will be very useful for a bit of air movement.

Reply to
A.Clews

And just what are New Orleans brothels like? Never been in one myself...

Reply to
Rod

You would be absolutely amazed at how effective they are. We have ceiling fans in lounge, diner & all three bedrooms. When SWMBO & I go away for weekends during the summer months we have trouble sleeping unless the hotel has aircon (rare).

Our bedroom fan is on all year, albeit on lowest speed in winter - with the fan reversed to push hot air down. Still aids sleep & comfort.

Money well spent IMO.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thus spake The Medway Handyman ( snipped-for-privacy@no-spam-blueyonder.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

Thanks for the tips.

Perhaps they also help make central heating more effective, by mixing the warmer and cooler air more quickly?

Reply to
A.Clews

I've fitted quite a few and the destructions always suggest reversing the fan in the winter, so it blows air upwards instead of down. I guess that would force the warm air back down.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What about a multiple spotlight fitting and fit one or more of these

an oscillating wall-mounted fan.

At least with either of the above the blades are guarded.

Reply to
Owain

Thus spake Owain ( snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

True (my remark about decapitation wasn't all that serious :-) but I find these type of fans rather noisy (I have tried a pedestal fan) and they disturb my sleep.

I might give the light-fitting fan a try though - might be useful elsewhere.

Reply to
A.Clews