Looking for 19 inch rack

Could somebody kindly recommend a supplier (within 50 miles of Cambridge) of a 19" frame (open access) on castors, please? Maximum external height is 1875mm.

I'm trying to do a d-i-y home automation project and need the rack for my patch panel, router etc. Only need something simple, the IT shops charge an arm and a leg!

Reply to
Pandora

Ebay?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Pandora" saying something like:

These kind of things pop up the most unexpected places. Keep an eye open for factory closing auctions, scrap dealers, freecycle, etc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Pandora writes

And we've just thrown about three of these out 'cos no one wanted them! ..

And yes they are expensive there are some places online, bull electrical, that do them but their not cheap that way either...

Reply to
tony sayer

They tend to be expensive because of the market they're aimed at. But remember 19" bays were originally for pro audio and video equipment, etc and you might find a better deal in a shop that sells say disco equipment. But it's the sort of thing that doesn't fetch much secondhand, so I'd do a search on Ebay.

The other way might be to buy a new domestic filing cabinet from IKEA etc and fit 19" mounting strips - you'll get these from the likes of Canford Audio.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rittal (Enfield) for a beautiful new one. Local University departments are always chucking them out too.

Z.

Reply to
Zoinks

Hard to get em cheap. I think mine was several hundred..some years back.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nimans and the like are worth a try. Comms gear in offices etc.

Doorless floor standing with castors between 300-600 depending on size.

The Natural Philosopher

Loads of cheap ones on ebay, try this shop for a start:

'll probably have to fit the castors yourself - but you'll likely have so many wires attached to the cabinet that there'll be little benefit to it being mobile.

Reply to
peter

These folks will do pretty much any size and deliver anywhere:

John Rumm

eBay.

I've seen them for a pound a go, if you will come and take them away.

Reply to
Huge

I've done something very similar by buying the pre-punched mounting rails and fitting them to simple wooden enclosures. It's cheaper and more appropriate for a domestic setting too. You can also make is exactly the size you want and allow for ventilation or doors.

I got my mounting rails by mail order from

They have a shop at Staples Corner on the London North Circular road if you're passing that way.

Reply to
Roly

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

It look as though I might have to make something for myself after all.

The smallest open access frame I can find has an external footprint of

600 x 600mm. I think that my cupboard size will allow 600 width x 500mm depth tops.
Reply to
Pandora

I ended up taking a big breath and buying one. It was shallower than that (but then one has to worry about the depth of whatever is going in there; in my case I was building most of it). I got an 'audio' one from Canford that works fine. 500mm depth AFAIR.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What about this one?

data sheet here

be purchased from here for £112 incl VAT & delivery

John

That looks good, John, thanks. They do a 37U version which will fit in my cupboard. Excellent.

Reply to
Pandora

For general information to readers of this thread, I have since found out that the base of this rack is 600mm deep (i.e. it won't fit in my cupboard unfortunately)

It seems as though the 19" racks for audio equipment aren't quite as deep as the network racks, so I'll probably have to confine my search to amplifier shops etc.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Pandora

Why not look at the wall mounting racks then, rather than the floor standing ones? Do you really need 37U tall?

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, maybe I do need a rethink...

The cupboard in which I want to put the rack has two openings: a full-size door (height 1.94m, width 0.63m) at the front and a smaller door at the back. The smaller door is 1m off the ground and has a height of 0.94m, width of 0.54m.

The depth of the cupboard is 0.52m, so the cross-section of the cupboard looks like this ("+" is solid wall, use fixed width font):

The rack will be used to mount a 48-way patch panel (max. 4U) and stand various audio-visual equipment. The a-v equipment probably won't be 19" rack mounting but the patch panel will be.

I suppose that I could mount a rack low down on the back wall. It would seem better to have a floor-standing rack, though with the patch panel mounted at least 1m above the floor - this way I can easily wire up the back of the patch panel through the back door. I could then open the front door to play about with the patch leads.

The only type of rack that will fit the depth of the cupboard though is a type like this

which is sold in audio stores. That particular one isn't tall enough to be accessible through the back cupboard though. I need 36U or 37U really.

Reply to
Pandora

That's what I found, and I went to Canford in the end. Then I had to worry about shallow rack cases for the two machines I was building to go in there...!

Reply to
Bob Eager