19 inch racks?

Yes, this is DIY. Just network wiring the house and preparing to turn one of the large bedrooms into the office.
I'm after a rack - somwhere between 27U and 35U. I occasionally see these on eBay but collection is usually the norm and they're always miles away.
Can anyone recommend a good supplier of new or used racks in the South-East? I'm actually in East Kent but don't mind collecting as far as (say) Kent, Sussex, Essex, London, Bucks and Herts.... I don't want to pay an absolute fortune for one of the upmarket ones from some of the overpriced network equipment suppliers...more a factory gate job if you see what I mean.
Yes, it will fit in the car, even assembled...!
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

We'll have a few spare sometime next month in Cambridge if thats any use to you. Somewhere around 40 U but most are made, well ones less doors, that you can cut them down a bit!.
Theres somewhere in Croydon, display electronics IIRC who does them second user...
--
Tony Sayer

Not sure if you mean that one doesn't have a door or they all do...but would be interested.

Are they still going? Must take a look...
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

In my experience, they are very heavy, very sharp and very expensive. I gave up and bought some Ikea shelving, so now have a wooden "rack" with my Ultra 2 in it.
writes:

Agreed. I have a 42U one that, with casing, doors etc., weighs 160kgs. It tops a quarter of a tonne now that it is populated. ISTR that it cost about 1k new.
Colin Bignell
On 1 Dec 2004 22:18:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Chrome wiggly wire racking is now cheap - half the price of a year ago, much cheaper than 1999. I've just bought new server racking from my local shopfitting place - 67+VAT for a set of four shelves and legs.
--
Smert' spamionam

<snip>

Have a look at this URL, they do both built and a range of CKD units. http://www.bryant-broadcast.co.uk /
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:40:32 UTC, ":::Jerry::::"

Very nice, looks just the job but at the top of my price range...a bit more than RS!
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Bob Eager wrote:

The slightly off-beam world of Bull Electrical awaits your pleasure.
http://www.bull-electrical.com /
Physically they're somewhere outside Brighton - their postal address says "Henfield", BN5 9SL. I think this is a new location - they used to operate out of some disused airfield or sthg of that sort!
Even if they no longer have 19" racks for sale, you'll find *something* to fill up your shed, garage, and loft with there ;-)
Stefek

Sounds interesting in a general way...Henfield isn't that near to actual Brighton but easy enough for me (I grew up in Brighton so no problems navigating!)
Thanks
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

They don't seem to have any racks but I'll email them...
In any case, this could get expensive...I mean, a thiefproof pen and a box of fart bombs...just for starters...then the lockpicks...
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

These things always come at the wrong time. There were skips full of all sorts at Teddington Studios a few weeks ago.
You might try a post to <uk.tech.broadcast> to see if anyone knows of any currently being thrown out.
--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote | These things always come at the wrong time. There were skips full | of all sorts at Teddington Studios a few weeks ago.
Guide price of 1,400 but not worth 50p? ;-)
Owain

Yes. ;-)
I've worked for Auction World a few times, and they paid very well on the odd occasion they've needed freelances. But it's about the most boring job ever.
Sad thing is Teddington Studios spent a small fortune upgrading their studio only recently - and it seems they're owed money too. Hope they (the studios) can survive this - it's one of the nicest places I ever have the pleasure of working at.
--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Bob Eager wrote:

I think that Nimans do them and will deliver..
Wadsworth in Walton upon thames, they deliver as well.
Roger

rr wrote:

Yes. Used them too. Excellent product but used to be a tad pricey.

Try BBC Pebble Mill. They have loads of 35 and 40 U racks due to them moving. Speak to security on 0121 432 8888
Bob Eager wrote:

We have used these bods in the past:
http://www.bownet.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Prism_Floor_Cabinets_435.html
For new racks they were quite a bit cheaper than some of the alternatives at the time IIRC.
--
Cheers,

John.

"Bob Eager" wrote | Yes, this is DIY. Just network wiring the house and preparing to turn | one of the large bedrooms into the office. | I'm after a rack - somwhere between 27U and 35U. I occasionally see | these on eBay but collection is usually the norm and they're always | miles away.
You can get ready made rack strip with the correct mounting holes punched ready for cage nuts[1], just fit between the verticals of your choosing.
After all, this is DIY :-)
Owain
[1] from Canford Audio amongst others