Loo seat

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

I don't go to B & Q very often (and the last time I came away empty handed) but I have never been accosted in that manner. Could be of course that my grey hair doesn't make me look distinguished, just even more scruffy that their typical customers.

Reply to
Roger

Ah - that must be why people keep calling me "Roger" :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Focus do a pensioners 10% card too, and it can be used any day of the week.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

No, Dave mate -- you just give the impression that you know lots.

It's Mary who knows everything, as any fule kno, who reads UK Usenet.

;-)

john

Reply to
jal

I am delighted to say he gets about. He is 87 years old and has a new girlfirend.

I get 10% discount if he is with me in B&Q on a Wednesday. The trouble is on a Wednesday he is eyeing up all the females aged over 60 who also have discount cards.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I have a cunning plan to drink myself to death before I become an old fart.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How old would you have to be to reach that state?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What if, like so many other plans, it doesn't work?

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Too late.....

Ask for either the Dirty Old Man or Victor Meldrew starter kit for Christmas.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But only at the smaller B+Q's . The larger Warehouses reckon their prices are already low . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

I think I must be (prematurely) becoming a 'grumpy old man'....

This week:

Tuesday: dust up (ongoing) with Barclaycard over problems with their so-called 'fraud prevention' which caused me a lot of inconvenience. Second level complaint ongoing.

Wednesday: CPC, for failing to pack a hard disk properly (continuation of long saga). Still awaiting warehouse manager's response.

Thursday: Crucial, for screwing up a delivery and hitting the postal strike. Still not resolved.

Friday: Council highways department, for coning and fencng off a large chunk of our road earlier this week. Lots of extra traffic noise due to congestion, also parking problems. I wouldn't mind, but the road surface still hasn't even been touched. One workman to do coning, fencing and signing, that's all.

Not sure it's just a bad week or I'm becoming more intolerant....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

When I first enquired about this I was told it wasn't all stores. But recently they till me it is.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

Did you do some pattern of transactions that you don't normally do, or perhaps some sequence that by time is unlikely?

I have contacts by Nat West's fraud prevention about every six months. As a result of traveling a lot, there are quite large numbers of transactions and throughput of money on my card. In the early days of fraud detection systems, they weren't very sophisticated at all. For example, I once had a card stop because of transactions in three countries in a 24hr period. For me, that's not a regular occurence but it does happen - my record is 5 countries in a day - but that was enough to do it.

It seems that nowadays, the systems have become a lot more sophisticated, so the frequency of contacts has reduced. What I do do is to inform them before going to certain countries or before going to one for the first time. The account is annotated for a period and no problems.

I did have a recent occurence where my card number had been used to make some fraudulent internet purchases (music and designer clothing). All places that I haven't used before and I don't buy designer clothing anyway. Only one transaction out of an attempted 8 actually went through. Card was replaced. In this case the trader takes the hit for not doing proper verification.

I think you will wait for a long time. These people are just storemen with a slightly elevated job title. I'd cut it short. Give them two days to come up with a replacement and then contact the card company and report it. Having the transaction backed out may get more attention.

As in the memory people? These days, one of my purchasing criteria is to go for suppliers who don't use Royal Mail or have an option not to do so. Hopefully, if they continue to do stupid things like strikes and drive yet more business into the hands of their competitors, they will eventually go bust anyway and we'll all be a lot better off.

Contact councillor and ask your neighbours to do so as well.

These are all things where there is no excuse (except perhaps Barclaycard, but you didn't describe the circumstances).

Intolerance is the right way to deal with poor service that is not immediately addressed. Asking for name and specific commitment on when is a very good starting point. Keeping the acceptable timescale uncomfortably but no unreasonably short, often instils a sense of urgency that should have been there in the first place.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, their systems said so. The transaction in question was a CPC order (which happens about once a week) 'Oh no, we don't look at the history that far back'.

My gripe was that I didn't even know it had happened. I asked if they planned to phone me to tell me, and they said 'yes, we do phone; your outgoing call is in the queue and we will get to you in a few hours'.

Being contacted is one thing; having the card summarily blocked, without notice or advice, is another.

Replacement arrived the next day, no problem.

I had a choice of courier, but RM were best because I wasn't necessarily going to be in, and retrieval is easier with RM.

Toothless round here. I will do, but gave them a chance to answer first.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Then they are stupid. I would look elsewhere.

Absolutely. I had that happen once, some years ago. What they should be doing if there is a suspicion of bogus transactions is to tag the account for manual referral. In the UK and in most of the rest of Europe, the trader gets a message to call the card centre who then do a security check.

Reply to
Andy Hall

He's already busy on another complicated matter for us...don't want to overload him....

Reply to
Bob Eager

In that case highways department daily pestering. Squeaky wheel

Reply to
Andy Hall

Exactly what I'm doing. A van did turn up today. They rearranged the cones a bit.

Reply to
Bob Eager

As in Sunday morning?

Must be on double time.....