couple of dumb questions

I am getting a late start on small garden project, and have couple of questions...I'm in Michigan and get about 8 hours of sun a day. picked up some beets, they are about 5 inches tall and several of the little cups they are growing in have 2 or 3 separate plants and they all look healthy. should I remove the extra beets? Is it to late to plant broccoli from seed? What kind of vegetables could I grow successfully starting in late June? TIA

Reply to
cheapdave

This is late for Michigan. Stick with plants that are less 90 days to fruit. Plants growing next to each other will do better if separated so they will not compete for water, light, soil. Probably not a good time to plant brocolli--they like cool temps.

Reply to
Phisherman

Not too late to start bush snap beans right now.

Wait until mid to late July to start fall greens (bok choy, lettuce, kale, etc). That would include broccoli, too. Expect to be harvesting starting in late September, after it begins cooling down.

You might still be able to buy a large, started tomato or pepper plant at some places.

That's assuming you are somewhere in lower penninsula...

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Separate the beets by holding them in the palm of your hand with your thumb over the stems and the roots trailing down your fingers. Spray them with water from the tip of the roots up, until the dirt is washed off. Then carefully tease the roots apart from their tips back to the beet. They will separate.

For tomatoes see

choose from among Ultra-Early Tomatoes, Extra Early Tomatoes, and Early Tomatoes. There are other suppliers, just be aware of how many days they take to produce. Then see if you can't find them as starter plants at a local nursery.

The same holds true of other plants. Some cultivars will ripen earlier than others. Check with your local Master Gardeners, college Ag. Dept., nursery that you trust, or local gardeners for how many days before winter (rain/snow) begins. Pat in Plymouth MI has local knowledge, you can trust her suggestions.

Reply to
Billy