Winter garden broccoli question

I have been growing a winter garden made up of collards, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower in a raised garden bed. My question concerns my broccoli. I harvested the broccoli heads last december and thoroughly enjoyed them due to the enhanced taste over store bought. I have allowed the plants to continue to grow and they produced yellow flowers and finally went to seed. The plants themselves continue to look hearty through 20s degree (F) temperatures and are beginning to show signs of new heads forming where the leaves join the main stalk. Will the new heads continue to develop throughout the spring and result in a second harvest?

Reply to
Jay

Usually, If you harvested in December, and side shoots have been allowed to seed, the remaining side shoots will be thin and scraggly. If you don't need the space for something else, give it a try.You can always use the little shoots like broccoli raab.

Reply to
farmerdill

Hi All. This is quite normal for Broccoli, if you keep taking the heads of the plant it will keep producing more small heads untill the plant becomes exausted. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M. Watkin