Cauliflower & broccoli - second heads?

I'm growing these for the first time this year. I've got some great big plants. I just harvested the broccoli and the first two cauliflower. Cauliflower was harvested late--heads started to spread at the edge and some .. uhm, popped--not sure how to desribed the change. Also there are tiny points on the surface.

Anyway, I understand I'm supposed to cut off the head and side shoots will form. When I cut the cauli I ended up taking the top layer of large leaves withthe head.. . Is this normal, okay?

DO the shoots sprouts near the cut, in the crotch of leaves or from a new sprout lower on the plant? Do I leave all the existing leaves?

I assume broccoli is the same.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Broccoli forms side shoots where the leaves attach to the stem. How big and how many depends on the cultivar. Cauliflower, one head that's all. There may be a few exceptions but it would be exceptional.

Reply to
FarmerDill

the heads "split" (and became inferior tasting). I have long given up doing brassicas in the summer. they are a natural fall crop. collards can grow through the summer, because they don't head, and of course long season cabbages and brussles sprouts which need the time, but that's it. the time to plant broccoli and short season cabbages in zone 6 is right now.

Reply to
simy1

I just went to pull the cauliflowers and two of them has grown entirely new shoots from the bottom of the main stem. This new plant is distinct form the big head of leaves I just harvested. One was already branching out into multiple stems and started forming its own cluster of leaves. Is this common? Would I get just leaves and no head. I know these plants are already well established so I'm wondering if I should cut away the big leaves and leave the stem and its new flower of leaves for fall.

I bought these as starters in Home Depot so I have no reliable variety info.