Spaghetti Squash bent on world domination.

My spaghetti squash seems hell bent on taking over. It seems to grow a foot a day. Are there any best practice on trimming or reigning them in. I'm assuming I can just cut them at a certain point..but since it is my first year with squash I wanted to check.

I've got a 2.5 foot cage that I've run the tendrils up vertically, I could add anothe 2.5 foot cage on top. In addition to the swirls of verticals some ground runners are stretched out 6 feet from the main bush. I've already got a few golf-ball sized fruits starting and at least one is elongated some(about two golf balls in volume). Flowers still open elsewhere.

Thanks.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

I do my best to route the squash vines by winding them around the beds, along the edges of the paths, and into other beds that are emptying out. By the end of the summer you have to step very carefully to move around in my garden. Squash is just like that -- you put up with it, or you seek out 'bush' varieties.

Some *small* amount of pruning (if the vines insist on heading in a grossly impractical direction) is most likely perfectly acceptible.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I think Pat is correct on letting them roam free with as little pruning as you can manage.

Are we going to see pictures? I like keeping up with your garden.

Isn't this the 3rd year?

Reply to
Frogleg

In our last fun filled episode, Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:29:53 GMT, DigitalVinyl proclaimed:

Heh.

The first year I grew lufa I thought someone had played a cruel joke on me and slipped some kudzu seeds in the package. I finally directed it over to a crate myrtle tree and let it run amok.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

I've been taking pictures about every two weeks since the first of May. The growth from June 3 to 17 was phenomenal(sp?). I should put some lower-res ones up this week.

Nope just Year Two--though I've expanded with two new beds so I could experiment with squash, zucchini, watermelon, eggplant, canteloupe, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, and a decent patch of corn. Unfortunatley I used dirt with fertilizer in it this year for my seedlings tray (hey, 2nd year, I'm still a newbie). Had a horrible start--entire tray didn't germ or died as sprouts. Ended up buying more starter plants and my flowers are all late. A shame, I really prefer growing them from seeds myself.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Thanks for asking. I did a quick-n-dirty page of some progress picks. Scroll to the right on the page to see some progress on some of the major beds.