long reach sealant guns?

I had second thoughts after that last post. I've taken the sink unit out so I can get at the joints uninhibited and make a proper job of it for sure. Didn't take as much time as I'd feared, either!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Wise man.

I may have told this tale before... our shower tray and surround was installed by the plumber employed by the builder doing our house improvements.

For years after and despite many attempts to find the source, the shower leaked but only when used by my youngest daughter. I bored holes through plasterboard to expose the shower mixer connections, nothing. Scraped out and replaced sealant, no improvement. Adjusted the tray supports, still nothing.

She found a job and a room in Brighton and the problem stopped.

Years went by.... then I noticed that the tiling over the tray upstand was loosening. The hinged door seals were very tired so I decided to buy a sliding door kit and do a full refurbish.

The bottom two rows of tiles fell off as the plaster was damp. Behind that the studwork was rotted.

Reading the installation instructions for the replacement door and side panel, I tumbled to what had been happening. The plumber had sealed both sides of the original side panel. Water seeping past the seals was trapped and eventually built up high enough to percolate round the tray between the tiling and the upstand and into the plaster.

Eureka moment! Ladies take longer to shower because they shave their legs leading to a visible drip in the room below!

Reply to
Tim Lamb