Local B&Q closing down

Apparently because the landlord wants to redevelop the site and has just got permission to do so after several months of trying. B&Q are gutted, it was one of their most profitable stores.

Signs all over the place "Store Closing, Everything Reduced".

They don't take the Tradepoint card in there anymore. Bloke told me that the stock doesn't belong to B&Q any more, but to a company who have bought it all and will sell it off cheap in store.

The 10% Wednesday old farts card is still accepted.

Closing on 9th January, so there might be a few bargains about after Xmas.

This leaves Strood as a DIY wilderness. Nearest B&Qs are all 6-10 miles away. My independent guy in Rochester is rubbing his hands to gether in anticipation :-)

Reply to
David Lang

We're losing our local B&Q as well. It's part of their nation-wide restructuring plan. Are you sure yours isn't closing for the same reason?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes, it's been in the local rag three or four times over the past 6 months. The landlord had a big fight against B&Q to get permission to redevelop. Strood is one of their most profitable stores apparently.

Reply to
David Lang

Our "local" Wicks has already gone. (Notts)

Reply to
mike

It's become a Wickes no doubt.

Reply to
cl

6-10 miles away is positively local.....
Reply to
Chris B

Indeed. My nearest B&Q is 100 miles away.

Reply to
S Viemeister

A very large Morrisons supermarket in Stanmore, NW London is apparently closing to be replaced by rabbit hutch accommodation instead.

I should open a corner shop...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Or a bacon roll shop. It will have roaring trade for the two years or so the building site is running, and you then sell the shop as a going concern based on the last year's turnover.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Medway is only 74.14 sq miles. We have (at the moment) 2 x B&Qs, a Wickes, a Homebase, a TS, a SF, a TLC and several independents.

Reply to
David Lang

Which one? Arnold still seems there, Not been past Bulwell or The Meadows ones for a while ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Same happened to the large Sainsbury at Vauxhall. Which any time I used it was packed. Shows how much housing now costs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This Parish is about the same, we have none of the above.

The North Pennines 750 sq miles, covers this parish, has none of the above.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We have a Homebase about 400 metres away, and a B&Q about 3 km away. Bigger B&Q at about 10km, also a Screwfix, Toolstation and another Homebase. Wickes is (I think) abou 15km but there might be a nearer (less convenient) one!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Within a mile, we have one very good independent (I'm always impressed at how much more useful stuff than B+Q they fit into a shop about 1/20 the size), and a couple of decent builders merchants - but no national chains. 15 miles to the next decent sized town.

Not sure where the nearest of those named brands are.

Not quite as remote as you - the Dales is a rather more welcoming landscape :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Worse, pubs:

Although in Sheffield (maybe other places outside London) 'craft' pubs and beer seem to be having a revival.

Reply to
RJH

Exactly the same here (Herne Bay, Kent). And they are cheaper.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well yes. But that was said because supermarkets were selling booze more cheaply. But both are closing?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On line shopping?

Reply to
charles

I don't know anyone that uses on-line shopping (UK) for alcohol. The reason they are closing is demographics or whatever they call it when p eople move out and others move in. Lots of pubs are closing due to fewer an d fewr people attending them. A couple of local pubs have turned into Musli m centres. here at work our staff socail club was sold it is now some sort of Muslim meeting place. The strip club where a flatmate worked is now a Mu slim cultural centre. Pubs are also gettign closed and opening up as betting shops, pawn shops po und shops or turned into flats.

Reply to
whisky-dave