Local B&Q closing down

If you get your groceries from Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose or Ocado delivered, you can have alcohol delivered at the same time. Both Majestic & Laithwaite, two large off-licence chains accept on-line ordering. I have had a "thank you" bottle of Malt sent; it having been ordered on-line. It isn't fantasy.

Or just that the owner can make more money (in the short term) by selling the site.

Reply to
charles

As Charles said, all the supermarkets sell alcohol online as do most wine merchants. The Wine Society is almost entirely a distance selling retailer. It's much more convenient not having to cart heavy bottles around at a shop.

People don't go to pubs because peoples habits have changed.

A drinking pub with Sky TV showing football is a remarkably unattractive place, unless you're a drinking football fan. Those that offer a fairly pleasant environment and decent food at a reasonable price seem to be thriving.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Well, no, that was the point of the linked article. They're closing in London because of housing pressure - and the article highlights some of the nastiness that goes on to get the landlords out.

In Sheffield - and from recent visits, Nottingham and Derby - pubs seem to be opening, and those open thriving. But more the real ale type, which I happen to like.

This isn't a fantastically informed observation btw ;-)

Reply to
RJH

I'm not sure pubs are closing because of housing pressure. The majority of those round here which have closed ain't been converted into housing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One near here is now an Aldi, but an even nearer ones have become housing.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

One of our village pubs tuned into a Tesco Express, as did one in our nearest small local town.

The supermarkets like to try and do it as they don't need to apply for change of use, pubs usuallt have parking and are often in handy locations. Ours is on the High st, the local town one on a junction between two of the main roads.

Plenty of other land for houses though round here.

Reply to
Chris French

2 1/2 miles to Mad Hatters Hardware in town. It's not a true independant as in sourcing stock by themselves but part of Home Hardware buying group. Total floor area can't be much over 100 sq M and as you say cram in far more actually useful stuff than the likes of B&Q . When did you last see a coal skuttle in B&Q, let alone a choice of half a dozen, along with various cast iron grates.

I don't think there are any builder/plumbers merchants on the North Pennines.

Open rolling moor can be a bit bleak but most farms are dwellings are below about 1500' and still in the valleys. It's not untill you get a few hundred feet higher that the vast flat open wilderness becomes apparent.

The Dales are covered with those big brocoli floret things, that cower in the valley bottoms around here. B-)

IHMO the North Pennines are far more welcoming than The Lakes, all nasty hard spikey bits.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

and I don't know anyone that does that either. Sure there are some just tak e a lok out yuor window for 10mins and coun tthe number of delivery vans yo u see then go to your local supermarket and count the number of people in o r out in the same period of time. I've heard that Ocado re presently the on ly ones actually making a profit from on-line deliveries.

I didn;t say it was, I'm saying that less people order on-line than you mig ht think. Far more peole have pizza delivered.

True, there's a building with a large notice on it locally saying we (some name that looks islamic by the spelling) 'XYZ-gtyhy' want to purchase this building so please give generously. Certain communitites are buying up prop erties in the local area. The local bingo hall where all the old biddies us ed to go is now some form of african church of God.

Reply to
whisky-dave

they also sell it in-store that's where I by mine as most people do. How do you think off-licenses are staying in business.

Same for cat/dog food that's heavy too.

n people move out and others move in. Lots of pubs are closing due to fewer and fewr people attending them. A couple of local pubs have turned into Mu slim centres. here at work our staff socail club was sold it is now some so rt of Muslim meeting place. The strip club where a flatmate worked is now a Muslim cultural centre.

pound shops or turned into flats.

No it's the people that have changed. watch programs like booze britain an the like. They DO NOT order alcohol on line. They go to a shop decide what they want then and there, go back home drink most of it then go out drinking.

Not for those that like football and drinking.

well I was in the Gunners pub last saturday and I've never been to a footba ll match, well never paid to go to one. I've never ordered alochol on-line or even food on-line.

but then I can legally buy alchol in an off-license, supermarket and other places, even teh do you look 25 signs don't stop me from buying alcohol. so yes there is an increase in buying alchol on-line especailly by those that couldn't legally buy it in the normal way. A bit like buying cocaine in that if you can't get it in teh normal legal w hy you have to find other ways.

Of course without listing these thriving, I can't comment.

Reply to
whisky-dave

en people move out and others move in. Lots of pubs are closing due to fewe r and fewr people attending them. A couple of local pubs have turned into M uslim centres. here at work our staff socail club was sold it is now some s ort of Muslim meeting place. The strip club where a flatmate worked is now a Muslim cultural centre.

s pound shops or turned into flats.

what housing pressure, the UK has one of the lowest birth rates it's ever h ad. So plesse explain why we need so many more houses or wo they are for.

- and the article highlights some of

I think you mean tenents out but, why would they do that ?

Me too, but for every real ale pub opening another 4 are closing.

Camra boss Tom Stainer said: "Pub closures are showing no sign of slowing d own and we have now had a full 12 month period where 29 pubs a week have be en closing across the UK.

"That means there are over 1,500 fewer pubs in the UK than there were this time last year."

Reply to
whisky-dave

One reason is that there are so many divorced people - this mesns that those who used to occupy a single house, now need two.

Reply to
charles

and what of single parent families ? But to counter that so many hoses are being turned into flats 2-5 bed houses turned into 5 flats sometimes more should counter the effect of divorce easily.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The bulk of our grocery shopping is done online (delivered, or sometimes click and collected), and I know plenty of people who do also - I'd say most of our friends use it (most of our friends are like us families with children, who would seem to be a key customer - buy relatively lots of stuff and tend to be pretty busy) - including my not very technologically literate mum.

But no I agree that most shopping is done in store - I still go shopping in supermarkets, but it tends to be for smaller top up shops.

Reply to
Chris French

I was back in UK in August, working on my mum's new home in Ottershaw, near Woking, Surrey. Scarcely the back of beyond but perhaps as far from a B&Q as anywhere in the built-up SE: five stores all much the same distance away - about 30 minute drive. Found out a little too late that there was a nearby Screwfix open to ten at night: not sure how they could justify this - no one there on my late visits.

LB Richmond, where I used to live hasn't got a single B&Q AFAIK, though there are now handy Wickes, Screwfix and Toolstation outlets.

Reply to
Tony Bryer