Linux Mint hacked - infected ISOs on website

Mint suffered a hack yesterday (Sat 20th) with .iso files containing a backdoor malware infection.

If you downloaded Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition yesterday (Sat 20th), nuke the installation and reinstall.

or

I'm betting the intruder's IP address can be traced back to Redmond. :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Surely not? Along with Apple, Linux is virus proof. Everyone knows that.

Reply to
GB

And yes, I know it's not a virus.

Reply to
GB

Luckily, there are so few running Linux on the desktop than none of this will really be a concern.

And 're install and start again ...' I thought it was only Windows where you were supposed to have to do that?

I'm assuming the server that got hacked was a Linux one and if so they probably 'forgot' to apply the Apache patch ... or the ...

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Funnily enough I was just emailing a local lady I helped a while back by installing Mint on her old Tosh laptop. She was saying the sound wasn't working (so I don't know if it is the hardware) and she has a Dell laptop that she has installed Linux herself (from the CD I gave her) where it won't let her type in the WiFi key (but I've had a Dell where it randomly wouldn't work the trackpad and keyboard).

Reply to
T i m

Not so bug proof though, ..

..though, this may be resolved by the number of ppl who are going to infest the demo stores to turn them off.

...Ray

Reply to
RayL12

Were they hosted on windows server?

Reply to
dennis

wasn't a virus. It was a link to a deliberately corrupted image.

The link was introduced via a hack to the distrbution machine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

via WordPress, so the vuln wasn't in Linux, but in WordPress.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Everyone I know runs Linux on the desktop. Only those who know no better run Windows.

Reply to
Bob Martin

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have forced myself over years always to check download signatures, which is always an irritating diversion. Now I remember why.

The rich part is that, unless I've missed it which is quite possible, Microsoft don't make signatures available for VLSC downloads; you just have to take it on trust.

Reply to
Henry Law

Presumably anyone able to place an infected .iso file on Mint's servers can also place a doctored copy of the SHA/MD5 check files there too?

Reply to
Andy Burns

We must move in different circles (or I get out more ) because the only people I know who run Linux on the desktop are the two or three who do so because I installed it for them.

Well, 'of course' you will find those who have an interest in 'computers' will (probably also) run other OS's but even 75% of those who run Ubuntu also run Windows, as do many of the 'Linux fanatics' (as that is often what you become when a member of an unheard minority tying to force your ideals on those who couldn't care less for *your* ideals).

Oh dear Bob ... so why is that ... why is it that 75% of people who in your eyes 'know better', also run Windows? Could it be they would like to enjoy all those programs that aren't also available on Linux ... or enjoy the hardware that isn't compatible with Linux ... who aren't fanatics and accept Linux is simply not up to it for the vast majority (on the desktop? It's fine where it's neither seen nor heard, like servers (although this Latest incident with Mint might put some reality back on that assumption) or my router or TV).

Even that 'The Natural Philosopher' (typical Linux geek arrogance there ) *has* to run Windows (although he thinks he isn't because he's running it in a VM ) because there are several Windows programs he *needs* that simply don't have Linux equivalents.

Windows can do most things for most people, Linux obviously can't (or I'm guessing more than 5% of the desktop population would actually be running it)?

So, if you are interested in computers, like programming, enjoy the comfort of talking at people who think like you and don't actually need to mix and share with the real world, are tight or have a specific job to do then yes, you could probably 'get away' with using Linux. ;-)

So, Linux is (mostly) free, is *supposed* to be secure (as long as you don't download it on the wrong day and have patched the age old flaws), does install on most recent hardware pretty easily, distros like Mint come pretty well pre configured with lots of useful stuff, has been out there a fair while now so how come very few 'ordinary users' have never heard of it and many I have offered it to (free) don't want it or if I install it alongside Windows, never use it?

And remember I'm no Windows fanboy. I also run Linux, OSX and Android so know very well exactly what each can, or can't do (or what I can get each to do, as I'm no 'computer geek') and whilst I'm still using XP as my daily desktop (here on a Mac Mini) I'm only two keystrokes away from running Linux (Ubuntu) yet rarely do. Why? Because I happen to be a 'hardware guy' and like using my PC's as tools with kit to do things (not just as a WP as with many Linux users) and much of that kit isn't supported on Linux.

So, the last printer I was given, a nice MF colour laser allows me to network print and scan from XP, 7 and 10, I can print but can't scan from Linux. Now, if I was a Linux geek I'd spend loads of time researching 'Linux compatible' hardware (although exactly how you do that when you are given stuff I don't know) but that's the tail wagging the dog as most people are concerned. How much hardware in PC World says 'Linux compatible' on the box?

However, I regularly use a Linux boot CD/DVD as a tool (and recommend others do the same) and if you just want a bit of WP and a web terminal (and as long as you don't need the latest Flash to play your favourite web game or ActiveX to access some ipcam or whatever) then Linux could be a good solution. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. And even if someone was handed a PC with Linux on it, where do they take it to get it fixed when it goes wrong? I have lived in this area all my life and know of several PC shops and none of them support Linux. Oh, and 'going along to the local LUG' is as appealing to most people as going to any other OS support club. Their PC's are just means to an end., not a hobby or even interest (and certainly not a religious or political cause!).

Reply to
T i m

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

That's true. The answer is to check a few the other mirrors - if the hash differs, that's an immediate warning flag.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Bwhahaha!

Or run Windows because they *need* some Windows only apps and because they do so in a virtual machine, think in some deluded way that doesn't count as 'running Windows'!

Maybe he should rename himself 'The natural hypocrite'. ;-)

So funny ... but so sad at the same time.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

More of a vuln in the site maintainers.

Reply to
David

En el artículo , David escribió:

Yes, agreed.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Someone read the freely available source and found a vulnerability before all those good guys that check open source found it?

Open source cuts both ways and there is little incentive for the good guy to bother checking.

Reply to
dennis

Everyone I know runs windows on their desktops, even those that have tried linux so they know better.

I also run windows on my desktop and linux on the servers.

Reply to
dennis

Except the file wasn't placed on Mints servers. Just a link to a compromised ISO.

Reply to
Jethro_uk