Link detached houses and property boundaries ?

Dunno, but an apt phrase for any house these days should be:

"Reassuringly expensive"!!!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tiny.

Reply to
Huge

'deceptively spacious' could mean either but if the photos/plans show something that looks large I can't imagine an agent warning you that it is really quite small. So it means 'we are trying to counter the obvious first impression that it's a miserable little hutch'.

I've now spent two years looking for a property to retire to, I despair.

Reply to
DJC

LOL

Reply to
bert

Jesus, I don't want to hear that, we've only been looking for a few weeks.

Reply to
Huge

Try a sensible country?

Reply to
Tim Watts

  1. Aug 2013. After a survey and a structural engineer's report, decided cost of renovation of nice wreck in nice location would not only exceed likely value restored but bust my budget.
  2. June 2014. Sale of my property fell through so not in position to make cash offer for perfect house in fair location.
  3. January 2015. Buyer of my flat dragging feet so unable to make proceedable offer on near perfect house in desirable location.
  4. April 2015. Stupid (or bad faith?) buyer has spun things out so long his mortgage offer has expired. So unable to make fully competitive offer on near perfect wreck in very desirable location.

And this I might add selling a flat in London that has buyers queuing up to make offers. Unfortunately they seem so anxious to make an offer they only make up their mind later.

Reply to
DJC

I am presently in Italy, where I could buy the appartment I currently rent year round for less than a quarter of the value of my (smaller) London flat. It is tempting but?

Reply to
DJC

We've been looking for two years, too, but just generally, not with anything specific in mind. One problem is what and where? In the past, moving has always been related to a specific need such as location, for work. Having now retired, the world is theoretically our oyster, which makes the whole business far more complicated, even though it shouldn't.

We could go anywhere, although hope this will be the last move. Then again, we like where we are, but the house is too big, or will be, as the years pass. Don't know about you, but right through my 40s and into my 50s, time and life seemed almost infinite. Now, in my 60s, I have finally accepted that there is an end in sight, or at least a major slowing down as the years pass. I am now at the age my Dad died, yet my Mum is 91 and still going, albeit slowly, living in a flat. Popping my clogs doesn't worry me - it is just running out of steam, not being able to do much.

The answer, of course, is to do nothing. Just stay here until forced to make a decision.

Reply to
News

In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Where and how much? Mail addy works. My daughter wants a flat in London.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My ambition is to liberate enough capital to invest towards a future

*live in* carer. The accommodation needs ground floor bedrooms/bathrooms for when stairs become tricky.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Chris J Dixon writes

Chris, I don't know. When I say last house, I suppose I mean last house before care home or similar, because I'm 62 and not ready to live all on one level, no garden, stair lift etc. I'm just trying to balance how we are now with how we may be in ten or twenty years. Having spent my last

12 working years behind a PO counter, and watched my Mum, I am well aware that although life can go on perfectly happily, there are limits. At the same time, I have to believe that I'll live another 30 years, otherwise everything is pointless.

We will probably stay where we are for a few more years, then think about moving to a smaller house or even the dreaded bungalow, smaller, easier to maintain garden, proximity to shops etc. Perhaps a much newer property, with minimal maintenance requirements.

We currently have one advantage in that, although this house is large, and expensive to run, our former PO is part of the building. We have retired, the PO business has relocated but the unit has been let. The income from that more than offsets the savings to be achieved by moving to a smaller house.

Reply to
News

For most men, that's called a "wife".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I live in a part of Southend on Sea with streets of terrace houses built 1900 to 1930. The area has being going slightly downhill for the past 20 years with more properties being buy to let and with short term tenants who couldn't care a s**t, albeit with most houses in the area in a good state of repair (externally).

For the past few years all the local estate agents are marketing properties in the area as being in "Southchurch Village". On the 1843? OS map a village doesn't appear in this location and there sure ain't one now. It's urban sprawl that followed the railways line.

Reply to
alan_m

Rent it out and buy somewhere else. You can sell it in a few years time when its doubled in value.

Reply to
dennis

You want to remarry?

Reply to
dennis

Er no.

Wives will in general realise that a dead husband is infinitely preferable to a live on that needs caring.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Far more have a wife that survives them than who have a live in carer who is not their wife.

Must be why so many organise for him to be dead.

Reply to
John Chance

Yes. She does an excellent job. However her family have a history of Alzheimer's. Most of my lot seem to die from cancer so I am trying to plan for a worst case scenario.

Reply to
Tim Lamb