Link detached houses and property boundaries ?

No. I'm happy with my first choice. Just *worst case* planning.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We've been looking into costs for converting our attached 2-car garage into living quarters, with a handicap-friendly shower room. To be used as a workshop/hobby room initially (and the extra shower room will be handy), but potentially an easy access master suite, with a live-in carer installed in our bedroom in the main house.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I now live in a high rise flat in Melbourne Docklands. Back in 2009 a bike accident put me on crutches for six weeks, and that made me realise that this will be an OK place to live when/if I get to be old and decrepit - no steps, basic shops at ground floor level, PT and taxi rank on my doorstep.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

We've already realised this. Tiresome, isn't it?

Yep. I'm 61 and retiring in 10 weeks. We found a splendid house in North Devon, but after an enormous amount of mulling over we decided it was not a house to retire into, on account of being too big and having too much land.

It worries me in the sense that we have to have somewhere my wife can manage on her own.

Not that I was ever keen on doing much. :o)

We've sold our house ...

Reply to
Huge

Not too many stairs. Ease of installing a lift/stairlift. Ease of access from the outside. Low maintenance.

Pages 47 to 92 of our requirements list covers this. :o)

Reply to
Huge

Yes that pisses me off too!. Still I like the job a lot, its my own outfit anyway, and have decided that retirement at 70 isn't that bad a thing or perhaps a partial retirement.

My old dad popped his clogs when he was 83 so thats another 20 years all being well and when I look back to 20 years ago that did seem a long time away.

OK its an illusion which suits me fine, others I know find comfort in their religion the one that'll save 'em;!.

What do you do when your retired?, can't play golf all the time or holiday you'd get fed up with it wouldn't you?..

;!..

Or let that bitch nature take her inevitable course;-(...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

Like the idea of that, some nubile Asian girl takes me fancy;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Works the other way round. Wife's Granddad took care of his elderly wife for 8 years after she had a stroke lovingly cared for her over all that time. It was like having a new born around, bottle feeding her and changing her nappies;!..

Poor old boy, one of the nicest kindest people around he was my only regret was not being able to speak his native French in order to have deeper conversations with him.

Rest in a well deserved peace mate:-)

Reply to
tony sayer

Extremely. We moved to Aberdeenshire 13 years ago, and enjoy life here. The Moray coast beckons, but my Mum is 500 miles south, and would love us, and her only grandson, to move in that direction but, given that she is 91, she may live another few years or may expire a week after we move. I keep thinking if we put off a decision long enough, poor old Mum will be out of the equation. Cruel, I know.

Agreed. We keep looking at houses similar to this one, but what would be the point?

Well, yes, there is that.

Ah. Move into rented? That introduces the horror of moving twice. It is the thought of packing and moving that keeps putting me off the whole idea.

Reply to
News

In message , tony sayer writes

Good question. When I worked, I could have punched retirees who kept saying they didn't know where they found time to work for a living. Now I understand. We've been retired 21 months, and it has flown by. Catching up with a million jobs that had been put off, but doing everything slightly more leisurely, I suppose. Just having time to do stuff without trying to cram everything into the weekend. Sit on our arses when we want to. Sit up late without worrying about getting up early tomorrow. Leisurely walks with the dog. Actually having time to read the paper, read books, listen to the radio. All simple stuff. Potter in the garden. Active, but not frantic. Consult the calendar, not the clock :-)

Absolutely :-) We've both concluded that, although we're relatively young (62 & 58) things could change at any moment. Live for today.

Reply to
News

[34 lines snipped]

we did that last time & I have no desire to do it again, especially aged 23 years more than last time.

That and finding a new doctor, dentist, solicitor, hairdresser, car fettler, carpenter, plumber, supermarket and so on. I suppose I should stop whinging; my parents emigrated to the USA in their 50's!

Reply to
Huge

In article , News scribeth thus

Well some of that we already do on slack days;).

But then again like my old Irish mum I like it where we're busy;)..

Yes quite, the number of "50 something's" that keep popping off in the paper is a cause for some concern;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

"hope do die before I get old". I am 60, semi-retired, the university has started paying my pension rather earlier than I expected. The reason to move now is to go somewhere nicer now I no longer need to be where the work is; and to do so before I get too old to enjoy it. So, I do look at places deep in the country and think what happens in maybe 15 years time when needing to drive to the nearest shop? Will I really want a garden? But general infirmity? I will take my chance: I have already lived longer than my father and collected my pensin for longer than my grandfather.

Reply to
DJC

Exactly the same thoughts we've been having.

Reply to
Huge

On a bus route close to shops post office bank urban areas generally get better support.

Reply to
bert

In article , Tim Lamb writes

Advice is to keep stairs as long as possible as they are an excellent form of exercise.

Reply to
bert