Checking property boundaries

Hello,

As the subject states, I want to check the boundaries of my property. Is consulting the deeds the only way to do this? Can I only obtain those from my solicitor, and will he charge me for this?

Regards, Richard.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

If the property is registered then you can get details from the land registry for a nominal fee. However, you may be disappointed. Boundaries are unlikely to be shown accurately enough to determine if the neighbour has shifted the fences 1 metre. The actual boundaries on the ground are unlikely to be challengable except in the most blatant of cases.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you don't have your deeds, you probably have a mortgage. In which case your lender has them.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Thanks,

How do I know if it's "registered"? How much does this normally cost? Is there any difference between the title plan and the deeds, for legal reasons? Is there any danger that one might say something different to the other?

This is for a garage (attached) that I want to build. It's not going to affect any neighbours but I want to ensure that the council don't ask me to pull it down in a few months because I've followed the title plan and they have followed the deeds!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

You're correct here. Am I entitled to get a copy of the deeds, would they charge me?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

Hm. If you've a mortgage, the provider will probably have them - some no longer charge for viewing. Ask them. For checking your boundaries, they may or may not help. Worth a look, anyway. If they *do* charge, see how much a copy would cost.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I remember seeing deeds when I first moved in, they definately had the boundaries marked. If they didn't, how would the boundaries otherwise be determined?

I will contact my BSoc later, thanks!

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

|On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:40:10 +0100, Richard Phillips wrote: | |>As the subject states, I want to check the boundaries of my property. Is |>consulting the deeds the only way to do this? Can I only obtain those from |>my solicitor, and will he charge me for this? | |If you don't have your deeds, you probably have a mortgage. In which |case your lender has them.

I was offered photo copies of my deeds by the Halifax for IIRC a not unreasonable fee.

Many years ago I told the Halifax that I wanted to consult my deeds. They brought them to the local branch and put me in a room there, where I could read them to my hearts content, not sure how much they charged, but it did not seem unreasonable at the time.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Were you allowed to take a copy?

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

The boundary as currently expressed on the ground is more likely to be of interest than a wobbly line on a chart where each mm is a metre or so. IANAL etc.

Is the current boundary clearly indicated on the ground with a hedge/fence/wall etc?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'm pretty sure my mortgage company doesn't bother with the charade and expense of storing deeds. They just have a first charge at the land registry and leave it at that.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

|> |On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:40:10 +0100, Richard Phillips wrote: |> | |> |>As the subject states, I want to check the boundaries of my property. |> Is |> |>consulting the deeds the only way to do this? Can I only obtain those |> from |> |>my solicitor, and will he charge me for this? |> | |> |If you don't have your deeds, you probably have a mortgage. In which |> |case your lender has them. |>

|> I was offered photo copies of my deeds by the Halifax for IIRC a not |> unreasonable fee. |>

|> Many years ago I told the Halifax that I wanted to consult my deeds. They |> brought them to the local branch and put me in a room there, where I could |> read them to my hearts content, not sure how much they charged, but it did |> not seem unreasonable at the time.

Didn't ask, I was only looking for restrictions on use and only found that opening a fish and chip shop would not be allowed.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Sometimes there's information on the deeds that relates to restrictive covenants as well as boundaries, which aren't kept by the LR, AFAIK.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

And sometimes the mortgage company set fire to the deeds, for fun, without keeping copies.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I suspect the mortgage company doesn't think that it is their problem, especially as it could be in their interest to "lose" any overly restrictive convenants that reduce the value of the property. I believe any convenants on mine were registered by LR, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

There used to be a low (1 foot) fence marking the section of boundary of interest, but it rotted away about 4 years ago. It's fairly clear where the boundary is, but how fussy are the council going to be if I go 2" over? Over the 10m or so distance involved, there is a slight angle about halfway along, which is where I might get it slightly wrong if I'm unlucky.

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

Ok, I shall check with the mortgage people first and go from there.

Thanks all!

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

I should talk to them.... also, note that if you scrape away the soil, you can often find the bottom of fence posts in the ground that mark previous fences...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Good point, I think there should be a post stump down there somewhere!

Cheers, R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

The council won't GAS. It is your neighbour who might complain if they think you've built on their land. Consult your neighbour to ensure that there are no misunderstandings over the boundary location BEFORE you start digging/apply for planning permission.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle