Checking property boundaries

I have "open land" on the side of my house in question, it's my property then about 3-4m of grass then a path then my nextdoor neighbour.

It's only the council that will be at all interested if I go over the boundary!

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

Correction. No-one will be at all interested. This is provided your neighbour isn't interested and you're at least pretending to locate the existing boundary rather than going for all out land grab!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You can download the Land Registry detail. I did mine yesterday for £6

But as has been pointed out, you may get little of use unless your house was built as a one-off with decent scale plans.

Reply to
EricP

Will I still need to consult my deeds before proceeding with planning permission, or will this be enough?

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

Heh, ok, that's what I wanted to hear!

I just want to ensure I do it by the book... although an extra few feet on the side of my garage wouldn't hurt :-p

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

There may be a restrictive convenant on building a garage. However, there probably isn't and probably the only person who could successfully enforce one is your neighbour, who doesn't seem to mind. No harm in looking, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well there is planning permission for a detached garage in the same location, so I doubt there is anything to restrict an attached one? I will check though, although I won't lose much sleep over it!

Cheers, R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

Bought a house recently and I was told that the deeds are of no legal value any more once the land is registered.

The copies from the land registry which came via my solicitor included a number of restrictive covenants (mainly, it seems, to prevent travellers settling on the site).

I was told that the boundary line on the plan was approximate.

You can Google 'land registry' for their web site. You can then search for your property details. If they have them, you can opt to pay to download them in PDF format.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

From the POV of *ownership* I think that's right.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

The plans I have got (by post) from the Land Registry say "This title plan shows the general position of the boundaries: it does not show the exact line of the boundaries." Those that I have downloaded direct merely says that the copy is not an official copy.

If your title is registered it will only cost you £2 to download a title plan or £4 to get one by post but you might be disapointed at what you can tell from it. Even at 1:1250 scale you will only be able to extract approximate dimensions from it. As others have said your best bet is to find the post stumps from the original fence.

Building close to or on the boundary will have planning and building regulation implications but brain fade is obscuring the exact details at present. :-)

Reply to
Roger

|Richard Phillips wrote: |> There used to be a low (1 foot) fence marking the section of boundary of |> interest, but it rotted away about 4 years ago. It's fairly clear where the |> boundary is, but how fussy are the council going to be if I go 2" over? |> Over the 10m or so distance involved, there is a slight angle about halfway |> along, which is where I might get it slightly wrong if I'm unlucky. | |I should talk to them.... also, note that if you scrape away |the soil, you can often find the bottom of fence posts in the |ground that mark previous fences...

And repair the fence on the old line photographing things as you go

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Richard Phillips used his keyboard to write :

If the land is not privately owned and no one really would miss it - then go for it, but don't what ever you do build upon it for at least a few years.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Planning permission, which is granted by the council, is an entirely separate matter from restrictive covenants in the deeds.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On our industrial estate, Land Registry records had the estate boundary several meters out of position.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Your mortgage provider may have the deeds, or they may have shredded them as they aren't required since they are no longer considered necessary for registered land. If they do have them they may send them to you for a nominal fee.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Maybe I'll build my garage within the proper boundaries, but where the low fence (1 foot!) used to be, I'll edge it out a bit. Basically it'll run parallel to my drive rather than taper in by about a foot over the drive's length! I'll use it as a flowerbed for the next decade! No-one will miss it I'm sure...

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

I downloaded the Land Registry plan last night, the line is so think it must be at least a metre, more like 2 wide.

R.

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Reply to
Richard Phillips

They should not do that - the deeds are not their property, and may actually contail legal information not held at the LR.

Reply to
Marcou de Rhubarbaro

You'll probably get them for free -- it costs them a fortune to store them securely in fire protected, atmosphere controlled storage facilities. Woolwich were delighted when I asked for mine back, and it cost me nothing. Deeds were really fascinating too -- I can follow the land ownership all the way back to 1654.

Note that the deeds may contain other documents which still require secure storage such as protective covenants, which you might then have to pay to have stored, whereas they were stored for free by the mortgage company.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Indeed they are. Found out from the deeds to a terraced house I used to own that I have the right "to take a horse up my back passage" which will bring tears to your eyes!

Reply to
Tony Hogarty