Lawnmower - low power

dkh wrote in news:Xns9659D7DA4AD72abcom@62.253.162.203:

Just been out for another tinker ... tried removing the air filter completely and it does run much better... still not at full power but still better than with it in... even with the engine running replacing the air filter causes the revs to drop...

so a new filter is on the cards as step one.

-- dkh

Reply to
dkh

straghtened

Is there a crankcase breather and has it been blocked/buckled by this ?

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrote in news:d6dlma$6ni$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

dunno - I'm engine illiterate unfortunately - no idea what a crankcase is never mind a crankcase "breather"

Reply to
dkh

It's a vertical pipe out of which oil will spill if you hold the engine upside down. Sometimes it uses the oil level dip. Pressure building up in the crankcase is relieved through it otherwise the engine almost grinds to a halt as it cannot work against this pressure.

Reply to
Mike

Surely it's more about reducing oil leaks caused by elevated crankcase pressure?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Our mower was repaired recently (cable problem) but when it came back, they had fitted a tap to the fuel line, since the ball valve in the float chamber had jammed and fuel had continued to flow into the bore. I suspect it jammed because they turned the thing to some weird angle (althogh they said "it sometimes does that") - so it might be worth checking that your float is doing the job i.e not allowing a surplus of fuel - which may tie up with your findings so far...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

NT

Reply to
bigcat

That is not mutually exclusive with the post to which you responded.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher