Low power consumption dehumidifiers $ave ?

I am looking for a low power consumption dehumidifier to cut costs. I seen these 2 below that use only a couple hundred watts compared to mine which uses 792 watts(30 pint). I have a 1000 Sq ft. house and will have the unit in the basement. Would these work well. I would say my house has the "typical"basement" . The surround air 510 says it will remove 21 pints per day in the specs but 28 pints down lower in the description? I used this formula to figure out I am spending almost $60 per month to run my unit now which is 792 watts:

(watts/1000) x hours used x cents per kil. hour= operating cost

792watts/1000 x 24 hours (during summer) x10 cents(estimate)=$1.90 (24 hours) x 30 days= $57

With lower power consumption dehumidifier:

195 watts/1000 x 24 x 10= 47 cents x 30days= $14.10

Is this too good to be true or are these things marketing scams that wont work well? Thanks a lot

Reply to
chrisc

I would not consider either one, I saw no Energy Star rating in either, ES ratings are going to save you more. If you realy want a review Consumer Reports has them

Reply to
ransley

If it runs 24 hrs a day you will spend alot but I dehumidify a 600sq ft basement for about 4$ a month with a Sears unit, to know what you spend get Kill-a-Watt meter

Reply to
ransley

I don't like my dehumidifier. It heats too much. I usually need to reduce the humidity when it's hot and I don't need a heater in the basement. It's a GE 40 pint that I have connected a hose to the tank so I don't have to empty it all the time. I seldom use it.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly