last night's Grand Designs

Page 1 of 2
Another GD classic, IMO ... one aspect of the (re)build does intrigue me, though: is the legal system in Scotland so different that issues like planning permission and building regs don't apply? ISTM that for a similar renovation in England, even starting demolition work before all plans had been approved would be a no-no, and as to making a major design change mid-way through the build ...
Great project, nonetheless, and I hope that they do a follow up so that we can see how the interior is finished. One fascinating aspect of the GD programme is how the "inspiring" projects are always those undertaken by nice people (like last night's couple) -- as compared to, for example, the 1.5M airport terminal or that place by Waterloo station w/ the 34K cooker that didn't work ...
Julian
--
Julian Fowler
On 12 Feb 2004, Julian Fowler wrote

Me, too -- what a smashing pair of people.
They were, though, very good at disguising just how damn sharp they are: quick to laugh about their inexperience, but any two people who could self-teach themselves to design and weld the structure of that climbing wall are definitely *not* stumbling around in the dark.
(I suspect the climbing mentality has something to do with this: knowing what you're capable of, and when to stand back and call for support -- like with the the steelwork, the roof design and the stone guys.)
--
Cheers,
Harvey

Indeed and it takes a lot of guts to make it just a single bedroom. I'd always have that niggling "what happens when I sell it" at the back of my mind :-)
Rob.
Rob Nicholson wrote:

I suppose you could always work on the principle that if it looks like the single room is going to be a liability, you spend a couple of weeks adding flooring joists to the floor cut out, and slapping in some stud walls to make it all more "traditional".
Failing that you hope that there is a buyer that is equally as "in love" with the design as you originally were.
--
Cheers,

John.

And they'd better be careful with the family planning
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:38:29 -0000, "Rob Nicholson"

IIRC the top floor was to be open plan - even the "bathroom" and "loo". Anyone who would buyt that place would immediately seek to convert it to a traditional style (and probably get a hike in the value).
Too much of it, IMHO, seemed just to waste space and the thought of having to go up to full ladder height to clean/ paint the windows inside....Uggh. A true "Dinkies" place.
That aside, their enthusiasm was fantastic but the "plan as we go" philosophy does seem way at odds with the legal requirements.

I just hope his insurers weren't watching that bit about the climbing wall, people dropping from a height held by ropes attached to what was basically a giant Meccano set.
J.
--
John Rouse

Leaving aside the issue of the juxtaposition of their trad C19 house with ugly C20 blocks of flats (nice view, not), I thought that April and ??Reuben?? were totally inspirational. It really struck me that you never saw them looking cross, and their enthusiasm and readiness to tackle completely new skills was absolutely fantastic. 4,200 slates!!
John

It was the best Grand Designs yet (imho). You could honestly say that there house was a part of them, such much more so than those that have architect designed houses and an army of builders to build it for them. They were a superb couple and I hope Grand Designs follow it up when it is finished just to see how it all ends up.
AK wrote:

In many respects like the couple who converted the old water pumping station - again doing much of the work themselves.

will be nice to see the finished result ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

It struck me that the internal architecture and design reflected the "feel" of climbing - sheer heights and the balcony in particular.
What's the betting that in time to come they'll be using the house itself as a climbing wall... if they haven't tried already?
Barley Twist (Please put out the cats to reply direct)
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:38:22 +0000, Barley Twist wrote:

the double height area to clean them.

certainly the most committed, hard working, pair I've seen on this program... my one gripe was their decision to only have a single, open plan, bedroom when they could have had 2 and probably kept the double height living room maybe they do love the place but will they recoup their investment, especially considering the surroundings, not exactly picturesque ?
I don't recall any mention of how much they had spent of or above the 100k
Les

After watching that, SWMBO said "I want our house finished now", "I've waited long enough", "They don't sit around watching TV..."
Pointing out that April did half the work didn't seem to help my case much...
"in2minds" wrote | maybe they do love the place but will they recoup their | investment, especially considering the surroundings, not | exactly picturesque ?
I think I recognised some of the flats behind the house, and they go for about a quarter of a million.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@stirlingcity.co.uk says...

Indeed, I was surprised that they could buy even a derelict shell for 30k in Leith.
Juliette
--
nowt

Julian Fowler wrote:

Indeed this also crossed my mind, as Edinburgh City Council / the legal system are particularly strict with Building Warrants, as they have internal plans of most properties in Edinburgh. A friend of mine came stuck a little when he came to sell a flat as he had had a new kitchen fitted and moved the sink from its original position without getting a warrant. Thus when he sold the flat, the sink had to be moved to its original position.
Jon

Neither planning or building regs are that different, other than currently having more stringent requirements for insulation. I wouldn't have thought that planning permission would have been necessary in this situation as there was not really any new build aspect, more renovation work which would be covered by building regs.
I missed the first half of the program so I'm not exactly sure what went on, but I would have to presume that they popped down to the local planning office and had a wee chat with the relevant person at some stage, but then they never bother showing the mundane side of things in these programs.
cheers
David
David Moodie wrote:

You missed seeing them pull/push old walls and them dashing out the way at the last second whilst a few tonnes of brickwork land where they were standing.
Also saw them doing some drilling or something generating a lot of dust and chippings whilst Rebuen had his goggles on his hard hat and just wore plain glasses.
To me, the intro made them look like a pair of cowboys with no idea as to doing things safely or properly. After 10 minutes or so you start to warm to them and see their dedication. I was impressed with them overall - though the first bit probably was put in to emphasise their 'extreme' nature (climbing) etc.
David
David Hearn wrote:

...and a most excellent garden wall made out of what might otherwise have gone in the skip.
A bit humbling all round when I'm still umming and ahring about fitting a basin three months later. Thought Kevin was a bit OTT when crediting them for installing the UFH pipes, that's a piece of cake.
--
Toby.