Is DIY dying?

From today's Telegraph:

"The maxim "if you want something doing properly, do it yourself" appears to be giving way to "if you want something doing properly, pay a professional".

Research out today claims that Britons are falling out of love with DIY. Householders who are working longer hours and who want a perfect home no longer have the time to do their own plastering, papering or building, the research shows. Instead, they spend an average of £4,500 a year on tradesmen, equivalent to almost a fifth of the average salary. The tradesmen most likely to be called in are builders and plasterers, followed by window fitters.

Almost nine out of 10 (89 per cent) of the 500 men aged between 30 and 50 questioned said that they would not attempt any DIY at all. Of those, 67 per cent said they were not up to the job, and 27 per cent didn't have time or were not interested.

Andrew Boddie, the head of marketing at Standard Life Bank, which commissioned the survey, said: "Whether it is a simple decoration job or more serious structural work, men across the UK are agree that DIY is no longer the thing to do." It seems that the magic of television programmes such as Changing Rooms and DIY SOS has finally worn off.

It has given way to a realisation that botched DIY can knock thousands of pounds off the value of homes, which it was meant to enhance.

DIY disasters can also lead to serious injuries. Figures released by the Department of Trade and Industry in August showed that 200,000 people a year are injured in DIY accidents, 100,000 of them seriously enough to need hospital treatment. About 70 people a year die in such accidents, most of which are caused by "a simple lack of knowledge", according to the DTI.

Justin Ryan, co-presenter with Colin McAllister of the BBC2 series Million Pound Property Experiment, said: "It seems the thirst for DIY may be drying up. The quest for home perfection is growing, but this time owners are doing it properly and professionally. "We've seen many people ruin their properties and knock off value by `having a go' when they didn't know how."

A spokesman for the DIY chain B&Q, which has between three and five million customers a week, said: "It's becoming well known in the industry that a lot of people now are very time-conscious and rather than doing a job themselves, they will call in professionals.

"People are increasingly taking on major projects like extensions and loft conversions that require more than a knowledge of DIY.

"Also, lifestyles and work patterns have changed, so unless DIY is a real hobby, people don't want to spend every weekend doing work themselves."

A spokesman for the National Federation of Builders said: "Our members in the domestic market are seeing their strongest order books for a long time. "People are interested in protecting the value of their homes and realise that they can jeopardise this by taking matters into their own hands."

In August last year, Sylvester Nseowo was jailed for three months for refusing to knock down a botched extension to his five-bedroom house in Telford. He had used seven-foot girders without any steel supports or concrete. And Chris Pendery, from Loughborough, was fined £15,000 for criminal damage to his housing association home in April after sawing through the roof supports in his loft to make more space."

Tony Bryer

I don't think it will be dying, just reducing in popularity.

I haven't got £4.5k a year spare to spend on tradesmen, so I'll be carrying on regardless. I think the problem here is one of definition. Some people think DIY is knocking in nails for a picture frame, others think it's doing your own loft conversion. For me, it's about learning new skills and recognising when I should DIY and when I should get someone in. I will happily do tiling, plumbing, carpet laying, electricity (until January obviously ;-) dry lining, decorating, woodwork and other things, but I have some people who I trust to come in for gas, plastering and structural advice.

In the end, people will choose the route which they consider gives them the best value in terms of time, money and self-satisfaction.

Al Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

They have not been down to my local B&Q on a weekend. You can't get through the door for DIYers...

Reply to
diynovice

They have not been down to my local B&Q on a weekend. You can't get through the door for DIYers...

Reply to
diynovice

electricity

Another consideration is the increasing cost of the *correct* tools to botch a job properly. :+)

Reply to
Nospam Pat

Well I must admit, I have spent 3 weekends doing a shower room, a professional would probably of taken one (and I still am nowhere finishing)

If I had worked overtime for the weekends, I would of had more than enough money to pay the guy and materials for a weekend.

Reply to
PhilÅ

We've never had much 'disposable' income but I've always insisted that Spouse has not skimped on tools. Hiis forty five years of accumulated tools has served us and family and friends in good stead.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm willing to bet there are more examples of his member's work lowering the value of a home than that of DIY efforts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I simply don't believe that. I'd be interested in knowing what question was actually asked. Opinion polls are invariably funded and/or undertaken by companies or organisations who have a vested interest in obtaining a particular result, therefore the questions are phrased in such a way as to elict the desired answer from as many interviewees as possible.

David

Reply to
Lobster

"diynovice" wrote in news:41a4ba42 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

Try it on Wednesday at my branch - 10% off for wrinklies!

mike

Reply to
mike ring

I thought they'd stopped that!

Last time we went on a Wednesday they said they had :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nor do I.

Well said. I was going to but it means more coming from a man!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Very good tools are about the same in real terms for the last few years if they have not been falling slightly. Just good enough (and even not quite good enough) tools have been falling in price rapidly in recent times.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

SWMBO works for the local B & Q "Mini warehouse". They don't do the 10% deal because the prices are lower (or so they claim) than other B & Q shops. The other day she was asked where the cafe was because the couple wanted to spend all day there!

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Are you saying that the 'miniwarehouse' prices are lower than those of the regular B&Q shops?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh no, they are getting cheaper and cheaper. You can now mess stuff up quicker and far more drastically than when I started!

Reply to
OldScrawn

not around here, 4*2 CLS at mini B&Q was £1.98 but at big B&Q £1.48

LJ

Reply to
in2minds
"

It seems to depend; the ones that went warehouse, or superstore did, ie Chelmsford, but the common or garden sort, ie Basildon, it still worked last Wednesday week.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

In message , Tony Bryer writes

And then they moan about getting ripped off

Really - have they nothing better to fill column inches with ?

Reply to
raden

No. That's why we don't buy newspapers.

Nor watch telly.

We diy - make our own news instead of living life vicariously :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher