Installing wireless room stat

Current situation: Vaillant turboMAX + combi boiler with no room thermostat. Plug in mechanical timer fitted which is perfectly adequate as the boiler is in a pensioners house who has the heating on most of time anyway.

Problem: Difficult to maintain constant temperature with using just the CH flow temperature selector.

Research: Researching on the internet it seems a wireless room thermostat will be a quick and easy solution to our problem

Question: We are thinking of installing a Honeywell wireless room thermostat, however we are not too sure about what it takes to wire the receiver up to the boiler. Does it require access to the boiler PCB? If so, is it hard to access it on this boiler model? How long could we expect it to take?

Thanks.

Reply to
David

In message , David writes

A connector on the pcb, yes

terminals 3, 4 and 5 IIRC - check the manual

What, the whole job, or just connecting up to the pcb ?

it depends on how competent you are

Reply to
geoff

For reliability you'd be much better off with a wired stat, if it's at all feasible. No need for batteries and freedom from RF interference to/from other wireless stuff.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Okay, will have to find it on my Vaillant CD.

Just the basic connection; i.e receiver to boiler.

Well my Dad (who is going to be doing it) can understand wiring diagrams, done a fair amount of wiring, including an immersion heater time switch if that's relevant? He is always willing to try something.

Many thanks

Reply to
David

It's not exactly feasible here, we have 2 wireless stats in our house and have done for the past two years without issues.

Reply to
David

Pretty easy if you can follow the diagram. Make sure that a 3 amp fuse is fitted to the boiler supply before he starts.

Terminal 3 is permanent live, terminal 4 is switched live and terminal 5 is a neutral according to my Valliant manual.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Can't see why it should take a competent novice more than 30 minutes, half that would be realistic

Reply to
geoff

I presume the OP should find a link between terminals 3 and 4?

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes. That should be replaced with the receivers contacts. Good point.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thank you everyone for your extremely helpful replies, I appreciate them :)

Reply to
David

Oh, one more thing.

Honeywell or Siemens would both be good choices right? And both would work with the boiler?

Reply to
David

The Valliant will not know which one you install.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I see, so would a Honeywell be a good choice?

Reply to
David

It would be a better choice than the Siemens IMHO.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

,

Thanks again :)

Reply to
David

I have used the Honeywell Chronotherms - Wireless & Wired in my house and my kids, all OK and "doing what it says on the tin". I am sure that other folks will recommend other manufacturers... BUT

If the installation is for an older person then I think that the issue of replacing batteries in the wireless versions should really be seriously considered.

I know, because I've got up on a winter morning and sensed that all was not well (not hard 'cos it was too cold) and found the red light on the Honeywell Receiver unit, indicating loss of signal. Not that hard for me to realise the reason for the loss of signal and change the batteries but for a real oldie, I'm not so sure?

I really do think that a wired in system is "kinder" for an oldie. It can still be a chronotherm with the benefits of 6 time periods a day etc. but not liable to near annual failures.

Reply to
naffer