Improving Mobile Phone Reception in Car

Greetings,

I happily use an Orange Nokia 6310i in my Fiat Stilo, connected via a CARK-91 cradle etc. It has a 10cm rubberised roof-mounted aerial* cabled directly to the CARK-91 control unit, but this isn't always sufficient to maintain reliable signal strength in rural areas (mainly Northern England).

Is there any merit in replacing the roof aerial with a longer/better one? I know next to nothing about RF or telecoms, but it seems to me that the emergency services must use those long steel whip antennae for some reason? I'm not worried about appearances as long as it's tidy, and would consider any other affordable solution (multiple aerials, RF amplifiers, witchcraft ...?)

  • Photo's at
    in case they mean anything to expert viewers. Was installed by Orange technicians along with the CARK-91 etc approx 3yrs ago, they told me it would give a better signal than the stick-on window version.

Comments & advice would be greatly appreciated - (NB - FU's set to uk.telecom.mobile)

Many thanks - Steve

Reply to
Steve Walker