Imperial Gas meters ?

"verbing weirds language"

Adam Funk

'Gift' is one of those. It used to be something you gave somebody, now it seems to be the act of giving that something. Weird, indeed. I still don't know what a tallied tubular is. Bamboo, maybe?

Reply to
Davey

Huge

That citation defines the gerund as a base verb, modified by adding '-ing', and used as a noun, whereas 'tubulars is a base adjective used as a noun, without 'ing' anywhere in sight. Maybe you mean 'intubate'?

Reply to
Davey

On some Michelin 16 inch tyres there is a specific warning on the sidewall that they are not suitable for 16.5 inch rims, never seen any similar warning on any other size before. The warning has been seen on tyres from ten years ago to present.

Anyone seen these rims in half inch sizes?

Reply to
The Other Mike

All-terrrain rims/tyres can be found in 16.5", as can motorbike tyres.

Then there were 400mm tyres back in the '50s, which works out to 15.75"...

Reply to
Adrian

Possibly out of ignorance? Others have subsequently mentioned interferometry - which I had not considered, but may be relevant.

Reply to
Roger Mills