Imperial Gas meters ?

Isn't that what 'our' inches are anyway?

Reply to
Chris French

Oh, I have heard of that.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Several layers of duct tape to make up the gap?

Reply to
Adam Funk

No - they really do use a phrase that literally translates as "English Inches".

They used to have Chinese Inches (32mm) back in the day and there were

10 to a Chinese Foot (which is almost an Imperial foot at 32cm). 5 Chinese Feet to a Chinese Pace.

There are other named units with lots of factors of 10 both up and down from an Ch Inch, which is interesting that they managed to get a strong decimal flavour in so long ago.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On further research, it appears that they are *now* - but haven't always been so. Prior to about 1930 'our' inch was 1/36 of an Imperial Standard Yard - and differed from 25.4mm by about 1.7 parts per million.

You probably wouldn't notice it on your average tape rule!

For further details, see

- particularly the part entitled "Modern standardisation".

Reply to
Roger Mills

Very few people still working today were working at the time - so almost

100% of the workforce was taught in metric for at least _some_ of their education.
Reply to
Adrian

See also: UKIP.

Reply to
Adrian

Michelin TRX runflats - they were deliberately a different and incompatible size, because the bead shape was incompatible with "normal" rims and tyres.

Reply to
Adrian

Don't think they were run flats. It was an early way of making a low profile tyre without ruining the ride. Completely. They may have made a run flat version, though. I had them on a BMW - they could certainly go flat. Changed the wheels to use standard tyres as TRX cost a fortune.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And: The USA.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Used to amuse me when we got Sun monitors delivered. The box would say something like: UK 24", US 27".

It was the same monitor, just that EU requires the diagonal to be of the viewable area, whereas US still allowed the diagonal to be to the corners of the screen/tube.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

the purpose of standards is not to be the 'right' standard but to be *a* standard.

It doesn't matter if you measure the screen perimeter in milli-parsecs, as long as everyone else does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Standardised timber lengths are typically in 300mm (i.e. 1') multiples. Hence 1.8m, 2.1m, 2.4m etc. So a bit of both. Timber thickness's are typically in something like 1/4" multiples. (although I don't think UK suppliers go in for US style "board feet" volume measurements).

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry, you're right. Brain-fart.

315, 340, 365, 390, 415mm rim diameters, and tyre widths ending in zero rather than five.

If you think they were steep back in the day, you do not want to even _ask_ now...

Reply to
Adrian

I had those on my first new car, an AlfaSud. Turned what was reputedly a fine handling car into a nervous twitchy thing with dreadful torque steer, tram lining and lift off oversteer. Awful things.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Being taught it and being comfortable using it are different things. I was taught Latin, but that doesn't mean I can hold a conversation using it. An engineering colleague of mine called the process of converting to metric: "metrifuction". I think he spelled it differently, though.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

But, being comfortable using a system of measurement is really just about using it enough (assuming that it's not stupid and crazy).

Actually, you can say the same about Latin, and other languages as well.

Reply to
Chris French

For the "real world" I (age: 41) find it a lot easier to deal in feet and inches and put it down to whole numbers of easily imaginable things. A foot is a biggish thing, an inch a smallish thing. Come to heights and

5'5 to 6'4 covers 95% of the populace with a nice granularity of 11 units. 1.651 meters to 1.930 seems either too course (1.6/1.7/1.8) or too fine (1634mm /1847mm / 1820mm) to my mind.

(This isn't to say I eswchew mm at all; use it all the time for small stuff.)

My lathe is 1947 vintage and find thou's a fine thing to work in. Call it 40 thou to the millimetre and wangling 1/2mm off the diameter of something is to take 10 thou off its radius. No going near fractions of inches at all :-)

FWIW, most casual lathe users make stuff "to fit" rather than to measurements as most jobs are one offs and there's no need for grommit A to fit anything other than shaft B.

Reply to
Scott M

Well, quite. You're already swapping backwards and forwards.

If fractions of an inch are so sensible, why are you not working from

1/25" to the mm? And if decimals are so sensible, why not reach for a 0.375" spanner?
Reply to
Adrian

I'm approaching retirement and my early education used metric units.

Reply to
alan_m