IKEA to charge £1 parking fee at its new Edmonton store

But as it's a new store how will they tell what difference it makes. It could be that demand is above/below expectations because of some other factor.

How will they gauge the number of casual shoppers (like me, not that I would go to this onme anyway) who now won't go there on the off-chance of finding something suitable.

tim

Reply to
tim

Cant think of anything worse, going to Ikea on the off chance of finding something.. The times I've been to Ikea for kitchens bathrooms, I cant spend ages in the place drives me mad. Maybe its just that its in Lakeside that makes it so bad

Reply to
John Borman

Try getting all that in a Vauxhall Corsa!

(Last time I bought that much, I used their delivery service and took only the mirror back in the car).

John.

Reply to
JM

That's one reason we substituted one car for a scooter. It's surprising how much shopping you can get in the panniers and top box - not a mattress though ...

But you can always find space to park and never have to sit in a queue burning fuel.

There's only been one day in two years when we've felt the desirability of another car and that was when we wanted to take granddaughters somewhere when the big car was full. Their parents had to take the little bra ... darlings instead.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not free, but quite reasonable if you're getting a large amount of stuff. I moved into my new house a couple of months ago and spent around £1000 in one go (bed, mattress, bedside tables, 3 bookcases, coffee table, TV stand, etc. etc.) and £30 for the delivery was pretty good.

John.

Reply to
JM

If you are prepared to pay for your beer and newspapers why not other services?

Land (for car parks) costs money. 'Free' catalogues are a pain and have to be paid for somehow - the diesign, paper, printing, distribution to people who don't want them. Many public toilets have always charged, they cost a lot of build and mainatin. You could take your own wheelbarrow to a supermarket. Ikea provides big bags anyway. Trolleys cost money to buy, why should they be free - and, worse, abused, stolen, dumped ...

Of course, you don't have to shop at Ikea or supermarkets ... there IS life outside them.

Perhaps you want to buy stuff there because it's cheap? In that case, £1 for parking is virtually nothing, you probably spend more than that on a drink.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Plus, they may not want the customers who won't pay a pound. If you can reduce the size of the car-park needed by eliminating those just going round for a wander every week, and usually not buying anything, it might be worth it. Or if there are enough customers that will choose this one over other stores because of easy parking.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Although we do have the national depot, you'd have thought they could have tacked a shop on the side of it.

Reply to
James Hart

By 'scooter' do you mean 'scooter' or stepthrough motorcycle / moped Mary (just out of curiosity)?

No but you have to sit in the rain getting cold (well except my hands (heated grips) and feet (flat twin) ;-)

No roof rack for the big car Mary? Trust me, the kids love it .. especially if it's not raining ... you don't have to listen to their bickering and theres no problem if they spill drink or drop crisps etc. (saves risking breaking the law these days by "pointing at them in an uncaring manor").

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Lakeside .. where's that then .. I can add it to the long list of 'shopping centres I've never visited'.

T i m (Nth London / Herts) ;-)

Reply to
T i m

No, they're all the same. I've been to the Wembley and Birmingham ones and they're both ghastly hell-holes.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
John Borman

Ah, the M25 .. another car park I try to avoid ..

I remember watching it being built (well, just the local bit) and also remember the days when an 'accident' on it was fairly rare .. seems a rare thing when there isn't one accident [1] per junction these days .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

[1] mostly = crap driving.
Reply to
T i m

How far, though? I am 80 miles from the nearest store. I'll bet that would cost more than £30!

MM

Reply to
MM

I agree. As a shopping experience, IKEA is the absolute pits. The showroom layout, where you have to follow the prescribed route around the mock-up bedrooms and kitchens, is a very poor way to display the stuff they sell. And later, in the part where the cups and saucers, blinds and rugs, and other bric-a-brac are to be found, the aisles are so narrow and there are usually hordes of shoppers with their trolleys that it's a total nightmare trying to choose.

I only go because you do get reasonable quality on many items at really low prices. I have bought tables and bookcases mainly, and the Billy range, for example, is excellent value. That said, IKEA seem bent on making the shopping experience not only probably the worst in the country, but more and more expensive. Honestly, a quid to park your car! How ridiculous. They are trying it on, just as they did with the 70p CC levy. Of course, given that we in Britain don't protest very much, they got away with it.

MM

Reply to
MM

Oh, IKEA just LOVE people like you, Mary! They could charge a fiver and you'd still not complain, would you! As for a £1 being virtually nothing, please send me one immediately. It's not as if you're going to miss it, are you?

MM

Reply to
MM

No, the FINANCE dept!

MM

Reply to
MM

It's not really surprising though given that most drivers are never taught how to drive on them.

Reply to
James Hart

No, it's because it's Ikea.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's a ridiculously low charge.

How do you know some people didn't vote with their feet? Only those who are prepared to pay it or those who don't for some reason know about it still use the system.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher