IKEA to charge £1 parking fee at its new Edmonton store

You didn't read all the phrase did you!

I don't shop at Ikea because I don't need anything they offer. But if people do want to buy what they consider cheap £1 is not going to be noticed.

OK, send me your postal address. On the ng.

Although I suspect that your income is far larger than ours. However, if your need is greater than mine so be it. It will come out of our charity budget.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Someone else for whom a £1 is nothing! IKEA probably think: Another mug! Let's charge 'em for deigning to darken our door!

MM

Reply to
MM

Good point James.

I was 'following' a 'mimzer' in a Micra (nothing wrong with Micra's BTW) the other day and being in the Rover diesel don't have any 'safe' overtaking power so just sat behind. She (as it happens) got to the empty roundabout joining the dual carriageway to the A10 (also DC) and stopped (it was dark and there were no lights for 10 miles). She then mimzerd down the (two lane) entry slip and so I went in the outer lane and overtook as I was building up speed to join the DC. As I just got on her rear quater she braked and swerved left .. I *think* she was going to cross into the outer of the two lanes (at 30 mph now and no indicators) ready to either:

1) Pull straight out onto the DC without any speed or sliding out smoothly making full use of the slip ..

2) Get to the end of the entry slip then stopping to wait for a 5 mile 'gap' ..

*They* are the bad drivers but *we* often pay the price when we make the mistake of trying to get away from them .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I imagine that IKEA will loose some custom over this.

Graham

Reply to
graham

Technically, the Thurrock store is *outside* the M25 (by less than a mile, and it may or may be south of the M4....!). It is north of the river (again by a very short distance).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Good point! I live around 10 miles from the store, so it's not so bad for me.

IIRC charges go up to around £50, but you can call the local store and they'll tell you how much delivery will cost.

John.

Reply to
JM

There's an easy way to avoid the 70p levy - pay by debit card! That said, when I spend over £100 I'll always pay by CC because of the extra protections. However a surcharge of 0.7% isn't the end of the world...

John.

Reply to
JM

WE DON'T EAT CRISPS!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What's a mimzer?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , MM writes

Seeing as you are prepared to make 160 mile round trip to visit an IKEA, quite why you are concerned about £1 charge is beyond me.

Reply to
chris French

Do tell what happened!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The Truck Act is still in force - isn't it?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Scrub that...that's for wages...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reminds me of the time we wanted to pay a credit card bill (Beneficial Bank) by cash because there was only 8p outstanding. We went to the branch, as it said on the back of the bill. They said they could only accept cheques.

The rest is history. We paid in pennies. And cancelled our account.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

LOL !

Thanks .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh, ok then, 'honey jar wrappers' .. ok? ;-)

You will be my lady ... !

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not in the car. Have you ever tried eating honey on the hoof?

I beg your pardon, my lord ... except that the apology was directed to Owain, who's very sensitive about loud noises ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A Mimsy Borogrove.

Jabberwocky, Lewis Carroll.

Twas brillig and the slithy tove did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogrove, and the momrathes outgrabe."

Gyre and Gimble. Twist and turn unaccountably like a Gyroscope in Gymbals.

As explained by Professor Eric Laithwaite on one of the BBC Christmas Lectures from the Royal Institute.

Just before he got his P45 !

DG

Reply to
Derek *

IMO the people who are most likely to be deterred are those who are just going for a look around or to buy one small item and this may well make it easier for people who actually intend to spend serious money - some people I know will not now even think about going to Ikea Wembley because of the congestion. But given that browsers may (now or later) turn into customers it could backfire.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

OK. But what are they doing on the M25?

Or whatever ...