icos m3080 Ideal Boiler

Greetings

As per subject line; my boiler burner fires up but fails to light then re-sets to fault code 'L' & 'F' which I understand to mean the boiler ignition has failed.

The boiler was installed as new three years ago.

Any suggestions as to...

(a) the nature of the fault? (b) how to fix it?

Cheers and thanks.

Reply to
PeterG

I had this not long after my Icos was installed. They came along and replaced the igniter unit. I got the impression that there had been a design change due to some fault with the design, although this was only an impression and I might be wrong on this point. In any case, the problem did not recur after the fix.

That would have been a similar age to mine, possibly even slightly older.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:12:13 +0100, Christian McArdle scribbled by his own authority... (in article ):

Your 'impression' sounds familiar to me.

I've had this fault every winter since new. They have refused to repair it under warranty since it is over 12 months old, despite, in my opinion, the ORIGINAL fault not being fixed!

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
PeterG

Can you prove you reported the fault with guarantee? If so give them ring. I find Ideal not bad to deal with in service.

Reply to
IMM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:08:27 +0100, IMM scribbled by his own authority... (in article ):

Tried that; won't budge!

Reply to
PeterG

Well order the ignition unit. Some have a dedicated ignition board. What did Chris replace?

Reply to
IMM

The engineer definitely said it was the igniter assembly board. It wasn't clear if that meant the igniter terminals, PCB or both. In any case, it was on warranty.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In message , Christian McArdle writes

I'm getting a lot of control boxes of around that age coming in

I don't have the test set for it working properly yet, though

Reply to
raden

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:24:19 +0100, PeterG scribbled by his own authority... (in article ):

ANSWER TO MY ORIGINAL POST>>>

Problem solved by engineer: the 'trap' -for the condensation which is turned into water and then discharged into the overflow/ waste pipe/ outlet- was blocked. Because the condensation (water) was not being removed it gathered in the bottom half of the sump causing the gas valve not to allow gas through to the igniter which in turn meant the burner failed to ignite. After a good service (no parts require) I now have a nice comfy cosy warm hoose.

This is probably not a technical wording of the problem but, the description is as I understand it.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Reply to
PeterG