Ticking sounds from Ideal Icos boiler...?

I've recently moved into a newish (2007) property which came complete with an Ideal Icos H15 heat-only boiler. By many accounts it's not the best of boilers but it seems to fulfil our needs and is working well=85 well almost=85

I can hear what you might describe as a 'ticking' sound from within the boiler. If I was to hazard a guess to its source I'd say it was either the front panel controls or, perhaps more likely, the main PCB control board which is located behind it. The ticking is similar to that from the constant background noise of a mechanical washing machine timer or similar wind-up clock.

The noise is constant i.e. occurs regardless of whether the boiler is sat idle, fired up, post-firing etc. I'd say the frequency rate of the ticks is around 8 per second.

Given that the noise occurs in its idle state, and I am not aware of any moving parts that could account for it, I am at a loss as to what the problem, if it is a problem, might be?

Can anyone shed and light or offer some thoughts as to what it might be? As I say, the boiler 'works' but I just can't help thinking that this isn't right and whilst far from intrusive (I'm the only one that's noticed it) I do wonder if it's a telltale sign of impending doom and so with winter round the corner I'd rather be ready to tackle it sooner rather later. I am also curious as to what it actually is i.e. if it is the PCB what component could cause such a noise? (This is more out of curiosity rather than wanting to necessarilly effect a board repair)

More than happy to provide further details if required.

Regards,

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I can hear what you might describe as a 'ticking' sound from within the boiler

Probably just death watch beetle in the woodwork.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

That's a relief; though it might be the PCB! ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Thanks Geoff; I was hoping you might show up!

I've made a bit of progress since last posting and tracked the noise down to the front control panel, quite possibly the voltage regulator in particular as if I grip the component body with pliers the noise subdues.

However, in addition to this I found a forum post

from someone else with exactly the same symptoms and it turns out that they'd had an orange (v9) PCB fitted but the installer hadn't set the jumpers correctly for his particular control panel version....

Now, I note that my PCB is the orange v9 version yet the boiler was installed in 2007 so mine too must've been replaced at some stage so my money is now it being the jumpers.

I'm hesitant to use trial and error as God knows what the differing jumper positions change, and I don't want to blindly follow the quoted thread's precis of what they should be so really my preferred way forward is to get a copy of the PCB installation sheet. I don't suppose you've got a copy of the sheet do you, or otherwise happen to know what the correct jumper settings are?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Forgot to mention; it's been in my bookmarks for years now but - touch wood - not had to use it yet! With this boiler maybe that's all about to change.... ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I'm always here - I just don't post as much as I used to

So the spark generator is remote from the pcb - should eliminate one possibility then

If the jumpers are not set correctly, then the pcb will just think that its in a different boiler, still no reason for the clicking

I have a sheet with all the various jumper settings if you want a copy

See above

Keep those little pinkies away from the jumpers

It'll be "remove" plugs" , "replace plugs" don't get too excited

Email me at snipped-for-privacy@cetltd.com, I'll scan the jumper sheet for you

my guess is that it is prolly the transformer breaking down on the pcb

I try to keep Icos pcbs on the shelf all the time, so a replacement should only be a couple of days away at most

Reply to
geoff

Yup.

That'd be superb - thank you.

Sure - it's only the end result I'm after! The other thread implies that the jumper settings are based not only on the model (as I understand this PCB fits a few different ones) but also differs according to the serial number of the front control panel - this is the bit I want to be mindful of (and I dare say the bit the installer wasn't!).

Done - thanks again.

Hmm. I hope you're wrong.. ;-)

Do the v9 PCB's still suffer that problem? It seems that this was a common failure mode of previous versions... all 8 of them?!

Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

Cheers,

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

"Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server. The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: Reason: 5.7.1 : Recipient address rejected: Address not used. Contact me via the webform at

"

Reply to
geoff

ss

onnet.co.uk/contact/"

Sorry about that - it's to stop the address harvesters and spambots.

I've sent you an e-mail (with a working reply address).

Cheers,

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton