I realise now what's been happening

:) That thread's weird

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I wonder where ours came from? Definitely not a school or college workshop. Ah yes! A high street shop. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

A high street shop such as this?

Clive George

JL isn't a high street shop round here - it is out-of-town. :-)

Think it was, perhaps surprisingly, M&S.

Reply to
polygonum

Or these...?

(Is IKEA "High St"? Pretty damn close, I'd have said.)

Reply to
Adrian

The only chain stores we have in our High Street are Specsavers, Greggs, and Carphone Warehouse. And Cost Coffee. Morrisons and Tesco are down at the end of the street. M&S? John Lewis? Waitrose? Sainsburys? IKEA? Not a chance.

Reply to
Davey

Yeah, that's the sort of item I've been looking out for in shops ranging from Poundland (where that example wouldn't look out of place) all the way to Asda and Morrisons where you'd expect to find them alongside all the kitchen utensils designed to be hung off of such a 6 hook rail.

Now I'm wondering if J Lewis have struck up a deal with the eduational establishment to act as sole manufacturer of kitchen utensils storage hook racks.

Reply to
Johny B Good

I think we can blame Rod Speed's "contributions" for a lot of the weirdness. That, and a seeming lack of reading comprehension amongst a majority of the other contributers.

I've offered my best shot at a solution (infrared excited anti-stokes phosphor painted needles, most likely 'glow red in the dark') BICBA to question Dave any further on this. I gave enough of a hint for him to 'remember' whether it changed colour from white in daylight to a deep red at night under panel lamp illumination.

Despite my stating that phosphorescent paints (such as used on modern bedside analogue dialled alarm clocks and watches with real sweep hands) are unsuited to this type of service, I'm still seeing suggestions regarding the use of a phosphorescent paint, or even worse, retro-reflective paint.

One thought that did occur to me was the possibility that the glass used may have a near infrared reflective coating to enhance the needle illumination but I might just be 'overthinking' the problem. :-)

I'm monitoring that thread just to see whether _any_ sort of resolution is finally arrived at, if ever.

Reply to
Johny B Good

That'd work if the driver wore a head mounted torch :)) I offered the fix I did on a 1980s tape deck years ago, but it seems confusion and Rod's trolling reigns. I can't help thinking its quicker to just open the thing and see what's going on.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Hardly a chore to use a micrometer to measure a drill!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I missed this thread first time round so at the risk of repeating what someone else has said: I never regret the few seconds it took to mark the relevant SDS drill bits red brown and yellow, to correspond with wall plugs. I used nylon cable ties; insulating tape should also work pretty well.

Reply to
Mike Barnes