Hunting generator

I have an 8 year old 2.2 kva Chinese petrol generator. It hasn't had much use but from early on it had a habit of the engine revs rising and falling rhythmically. This soon settled down once load was applied. However I used it to power some lights at the weekend and despite having just over 1kw load it still did it resulting in the lights rhythmically fluctuating in brightness.

I had a look at it yesterday evening and even tried a 2kw load and it still did it. I tried altering the mixture and throttle stop with no improvement.

Any suggestions on a cure?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

look for whatever governs it and try and reduce friction in it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Aye, how fast did it hunt?

If nothing can be found wrong with the governer, there might be a jammed/out of position flap valve in the carburetta. Had this with a B&S engined lawn mower. Whether a chinese engine has a similar thing I don't know. The flap valve was part of the "rubber" pump diaphragm/gasket between the top and bottom halves of the carb.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just back after working away from home for the past week. I had it running again and can't see problems with and links in the governor arms, all seems to move smoothly. Next stage will be to strip down the carburettor.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike