How to trim iron-on chipboard edging?

I hate iron-on edging but am having to use it in a kitchen. I've always used a fine file and lots of TLC to trim the edge but it's a pain and sometimes the file cuts a little deeper than intended. Is there a better way?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

============ An alternative method - worth a try. I use a Stanley knife with a new blade. I use it with gentle downwards pressure along the edge so that I'm cutting downwards through the finished face almost parallel with the contiboard face. I finish off with fine sandpaper.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:30:41 +0000 (UTC), Dave scrawled:

That's the way I've always done it, except I use Evo-Stik rather than the iron. I usually trim it down with a sharp blade, (wood chisel or stnaley knife), then use a very fine flat file. The file I usually use is a Stihl one used for sharpening chainsaw blades.

AFAIAA, that's the way most people do it. You do need some patience to get it looking spot on.

Reply to
Lurch

The edge (not blade) of a woodworking chisel run along the edging to be removed using a light sawing motion. A light sanding with fine grade paper finishes it off.

Reply to
shaun

Back in the 70s, I recall buying a small plastic right-angle "L" shaped thing, about 60-70mm long and with suitably set steel blades in it, and this did an excellent job with edging glued on using epoxy.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

I find a block plane

well, with perhaps a little fine sandpaper for the final adjustments.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I use a sbadpaper on block at 45 edgrees after using a moddeling knife to rough first..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a Makita veneer trimmer (won't Andy be pleased!) but I usually revert to a stanley blade for the odd bit of edging. Come to think of it I've never ever used it for trimming, but only as a one handed lightweight router for odds and ends. Total waste of £100+, and that were a good few years ago.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I use the back of my pocket knife, use it in a shearing action, cuts off the iron on over lap WITHOUT hacking lumps out of the panel, touch up with file.

Any blunt knife will do, even a table knife, dont, cut shear.

Reply to
kitchenman

Thanks! That works really well.

Dave

Reply to
Dave
[ More upside down / untrimmed verbiage. ]

You obviously can't take a hint.

*plonk*
Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)