How can you spray thick exterior paint?

I would like to paint the outside of the rear of my house (front already done when I moved in) and have a compressor and spray gun.

The gun is very poor at spraying thick paint or even fencing paint/ protector.

What do i need to spray thick paint? Would a spray gun with the bottle on top of the gun work? (the bottle is on the bottom of my gun)

Reply to
405 TD Estate

Bigger gun.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In my limited experience, you need to thin it down and/or use something more a kin to a parafin sprayer and/or get a HVLP system.

Reply to
adder1969

Friend of mine did this years ago

The house insurance, I think he said, paid for the respray of his neighbours car, and some of the surrounding fence panels but not his own. All due to where the overspray ended up.

Odd really that this should have happened to him as he had his own business respraying trucks and should have realised

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Hi there

don't use a compressor it wont do the job, i think what you need is a High-volume, low-pressure (HVLP) paint sprayer, do a Google on them and see. Let me know how you get on.

best of luck

Reply to
nice1

You'll need an HVLP system, and a very expensive one at that. I looked into it, and spoke to Leyland (I bought their paint) about spraying it, specifically thinning it for spraying, and they said "don't thin it, you'll ruin the paint properties".

I then spoke to a manufacturer about suitable sprayers, and they said that despite some of their literature claiming to be able to spray masonry paint, they really couldn't, however they were launching a new model that could - £400!!!!

Have spent more paying someone else to do it manually, but have saved myself the time and hassle, probably used less paint and got a better job to boot.

Reply to
Piers James

bought a 600w HVLP sprayer from Ebay and it can spray fencing paint OK though may need a bit of thinning however opening a tin of masonry paint it would have no chance - if I thinned it so i could spray it (probably requiring at least one or 2 parts water to 1 part paint) i dont think it would set properly.

I've done the job with a masonry brush - slow it took 2.5 days for the back of the house only but it's a good job and aside from it being whiter than i wanted due to poor color labels by dulux it looks nice. Next time I would investigate a masonry roller it may be quicker but I would suspect use more paint since you can't really work the paint in very well like you need to with a masonry brush. All in all took 5 tins or 10l paint to do the back of the house - it's pebble dashed =3D =A3100 and borrowed scaffolding off a neighbour.

Reply to
405 TD Estate