Can you use exterior paint indoors?

Can you use exterior paint indoors? The tin says "for external use only." Why?

Reply to
Chris

No. It usually contains a fungicide which would be dangerous indoors as there would be insufficient ventilation to remove the dangerous chemicals. There is also an increased risk that young children may ingest the poisonous fungicide directly through licking.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Could be something to do with particular chemicals used to make exterior paint weather resistant..this same chemicals indoors could make you ill?

Reply to
LongYP

Do kids lick the doors by you then?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I take it you have no children, then!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

the solvents can sometimes be too toxic for indoor use. The finish is sometimes rougher than would be accepted indoors. And there may be toxins incorporated into the paint that are a risk to children. So not really.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Small quantities of exterior gloss are very good at sealing problem areas (e.g. old stains that come through emulsion). The smell's pretty potent though, I wouldn't like to use too much. It seemed better for this than oil-based interior gloss, but I didn't do an experiment.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I tend to use gloss and undercoat suitable for exterior use both inside and outside.

I haven't come across much paint that says that, but I'd go along with what it says on the label....

There's something in it that makes it unsuitable for use inside (see: creosote).

What sort of paint is it?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

International 10 year exterior gloss.