house temperatures

My unit has 6 zones (changes). I don't find the additional two changes that useful as the house does not react that quickly. Maybe one degree per hour. the changes I have set are:

07.30 - 20 10.00 - 20 16.00 - 21 18.30 - 23 22.30 - 20 23.45 - 17
Reply to
Michael Chare

Well I can certainly tell when the boiler has tripped and it's starting to get cool. Looking at the stat set at 18.5 during the day the "hum it's cool" comes in before 18.0...

Ours, a Danfoss TP75RF, holds the room it is in at the set temp +/- 0.3C at the most, normally better. External influences such as bright sunshine or excessive cooling affect the over/under shoot.

See:

The slight rise in the afternoon (today 14th) is from sunshine but you can see the grey and wet morning is held at 18.5 pretty well. Shows better on yesterdays (13th) graph better.

As for temps, 18.5C is the 0700 target it stays at that until 1630 where it goes up to 20C. About 2030 it drops back to 18.5 and later again to

15C but the programmer turns the power off between 2300 and 0530 as the noise of creaking pipes would wake us up. B-) Thats for the main living room, our bedroom is 15C at the warmest at this time of year. It's got a bit windy (F6 25mph mean, gusts to 35mph) this evening but isn't particulary cold outside at 5C but I expect the bedroom will be 12 or 13C by bedtime at midnight.

All this 22 and 23C, far too hot, we'd melt. It's bad enough when it gets that warm outside with a breeze. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends partly on what people wear indoors I'd expect, mine is set to

17C day and 10C overnight.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In message , George writes

I must be able to - in fact I just noticed it getting a bit colder, and it's fallen to 22, (on its way to 20).

Must be??

Must be :)

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I think you do not understand what a thermostat is for. Why on earth do you think there is a need to adjust the thermostat on the basis of number of people in the house?

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

Women don't.

Reply to
Autolycus

The message from sponix contains these words:

Not to me but I am getting old but not so old as to need cosseting.

As a nation we have been turning into a bunch of wimps since central heating became commonplace. I have an Architects Diary from 1965 which lists recommended temperatures or a variety of situations some of which I list below.

Bedrooms 55F Living rooms 65F Offices 62 - 65F

FWIW I run my house at 17C during the day, 19C mornings and evenings and don't let it cool below 13C overnight.

Reply to
Roger

I run living areas at 22, as is the sitting in office..but working areas and bedrooms are around 19.....and hallways and corridoors are left to sink to about 17..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not if they're f-f-f-reezing, they're not! 13? For Goodness' Sake! What do you do in summer, when the temperature in this country has been known to rise above 13? Cue the A/C?

Related to another topic mentioned: my wife has been having hot flushes for a decade now (yes, really). (Yes, we're probably doing something wrong Mary; I rely on you to tell us what.)

In the evenings, our heating is set to 19 or 20, but it goes OFF at 2030 (having come on at 1630 -- what's all this business about "overnight settings", FFS?!?)) So by the time I go to bed I'm f-f-F-freezing, while my wife stays comfortable most of the time (she's most comfortable, poor thing, when she's not having one of those rotten hot flushes).

But when I get to bed, I dissolve in Untrammeled Delight upon mankind's greatest invention: an electric blanket. [which only covers my side of the bed!]

p.s. My 25-yearold son - who was brought up entirely "properly" - likes to have his heating at about 25, and prefers to wear a T-shirt, now that he lives independently. The notion of a good sweater is utterly un-cool, so to speak. I think they would much rather bemoan unaffordable heating bills, than turn the heat down. I just don't get it.

Reply to
John

If you want to guarantee the temperature when you get up you'll need to set the system to come on rather earlier than often needed if the temperature is allowed to drop too low at night. Mine is set to 15 overnight and changes to 20 at 0600 so it's correct for when I get up at

0645 on a work day. It then reverts to 15 at 0715 until the evening when it goes back to 20 by the time I get in. On non work days I'll set the daytime temp to what I need depending on what I'm doing.

Obviously you can modify these to what suits your needs, but I've found it saves fuel as well as making the house more comfortable at all times - and I mean also not being too hot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If your stat is in the hall that will happen automatically! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. I think ours is set to 21 at the high points, 19 during the day, and 16 overnight (where it hardly ever kicks in).

Reply to
John Rumm

Many people (myself included) have dispensed with the concept of the "programmer" for the heating, instead choosing the programmable stat. Hence the explicit setting of "off" no longer exists as such in many cases - you simply program a temperature below which you do not want it to fall. If that is lower than any likely ambient temperature then the heating is "off".

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh, I DO understand.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I probably understood about thermostats before you were born. My physics teacher was a woman too.

Your comment says moreabout you than about women.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Perhaps we're more physically active than most people :-)

Or fatter.

We close the curtains on the south side, open the windows and doors and keep out of the sun. It's not just me, neither of us enjoys the heat. We wouldn't go to a warm country for anything.

I'm not a gyni. I believe your wife and I sympathise with both of you. We're all different.

They ARE rotten. But it's better than being a man :-)

When we were young we had one, with individual settings for different sides. We didn't sleep well under it. Now if it's really cold I prefer a hot water bottle. He cuddles up to me.

Each to his own.

It's about more than saving money. Our 'children' are gradually understanding, now that they have their own offspring and realise that it's not their own future they're compromising.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Heavens! I'm agreeing with you AGAIN!

What am I doing wrong?

:-)

By the way, was it you who recommended the fugi? I got him one and he's delighted with it - never seen one before. That surprised me. Hasn't had chance to use it yet but he's shown it to everyone who's been to the house.

The 11 and 12 yo grand daughters weren't impressed. You can't pleased everyone.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.Perhaps it's an age thing ... coal rationing had a lot to recommend it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

This weekend's task was to change my mother's CM67 back to a £10 rotary knob stat. The CM67 was 'faulty' IHHO - the rads would go cold for no reason .... no reason other than the set temperature had been reached. Now if this happens she can easily go and turn the knob up a bit higher (and, yes, I know that you only have to push a button on the CM67 ....)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If you have a house that tends to slew in temperature quite quickly when unheated, then it may be worth going for one of the more expensive optomising stats.

They work out for themselves what they need to do to hit the target temperatures from the *start* of the timed period. So for example, if you tell it you want 20 degrees from 8 in the morning they will bring the heating on a variable amount of time before then to ensure it actually is 20 at 8 in the morning rather than that being the point at which the heating kicks in.

(personally I did not bother since the house will get to temperature within 10 mins or so anyway)

Reply to
John Rumm