house temperatures

Terry Pratchett. Discworld.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Oh. Everyone says I should read TP. Which is why I haven't.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, but there's "understanding" at the level of being able to remember the diagrams and even do the sums, and then there's another level of understanding maths, physics, or engineering. Some do, some don't. I got lost just before multi-dimensional abstract vector spaces, for instance, so I don't claim to understand maths, even though I can usually add up OK.

That has cut me to the quick, and left me deeply wounded and duly chastened, which I suppose was the idea. Is it a woman-thing, inflicting pain like that on old men?

Reply to
Autolycus

LOL With the price of Gas and elec going up by 22 % on 1st march, It sounds as if some people are going to be feeling the chill next winter.

-
Reply to
Mark

That's what I thought.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And insulation prices will rise accordingly too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

My home control system both monitors room temperatures, calling for heat from the heating system when necessary, and monitors all the alarm sensors, such as windows and doors being open. I have intended to enhance the programming such that opening a door or window causes the temperature set point to drop from the wall thermostat setting back to the frost protection setting. In effect, opening doors or windows would switch off the heating in that zone.

Looking at the effect a door or window open has, I would probably allow a few minutes delay after opening the door/window before the set point is reduced so as to ignore trips out to the dustbin, etc. I might also add a 5 minute delay before reverting to normal operation after all doors/windows closed as room temperature does climb back by itself as the stored heat in solid objects reheats the colder air.

This is quite a way down my "when I get would to it" list, but has always been part of the original plan.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

told you so ;-)

T i m (with no 'central heating' and plenty of warm clothes) ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Mary with ch but VERY carefully controlled!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As will the cost of anything that needs energy in its production ie everything, its called inflation. Its bad luck for the government.

Reply to
marble

But as prices rise the tax take through VAT etc rises, so not all bad luck for the government.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The thing is inflation leads to higher interest rates for which they will be blamed at the next election.

Reply to
marble

And even higher fiddled unemployment figures and costs for at least the next couple of years. The chickens are coming home to roost. The bond market is also showing signs of becoming a loss leader for pension funds, believed, by some, to be due to the China effect.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

This is one of my pet hates. Especially since there is only one window in my office so it never cools down except if sub zero outside!

Mark

Reply to
Mark

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:46:43 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named sponix randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Phew! I thought my 19° evening was warm. I've set mine to 18° in the morning, 15° during the day, 19° evening and 7° (effectively off) overnight. If I'm at home during the day, I'll boost it to 17°-18°.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula