hitachi gas nailers

Hi,

One of the jobs I've not got round to is building a shed in the garden. I've read here how using a nailer speeds up the whole process. I see that Hitachi sell nailers for half the price of a Plaslode. Are the Hitachi models any good?

I understand you can get two types of nailer: one for round head nails and the other for clipped nails. I understand the round head nails are supposed to hold stronger but cost more. What would/do you buy/use?

I guess if I went down this route I'd end-up having to buy two: one for first fix and one for second fix. At least I could swap the gas and batteries between them. Is there a reason they can't make one gun that would accept both sizes of nail and adjust the angle?

BTW, the wiki mentions using 4x2 but I was thinking of using 2x2. The ones you can buy from places like Wickes and B&Q seem to use something nearer 1x1, so would 2x2 be ok? It is for a shed for storage, not a workshop. It would be about 6' x 8'.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Seems a lot of money to me just for that one job, especially if you buy two of them. Last shed I built, about that size but tacked on to the end of a garage, I used mostly 2x2, with feather-edge board, fixed with screws. I know nails are cheaper and potentially quicker, but with a good cordless drill and modern screws it is much easier to correct mistakes.

Reply to
Newshound

They are ok from what I have heard... although like paslode cost a bit to run compared to a pneumatic nailer.

The clipped head ones usually have a steeper sweep angle to the magazine and hence can nail into a tighter corner. Not sure there is any real difference in holding power.

A gun will normally take a number of sizes (certainly a number of lengths even if the gauge is fixed). The sweep angle is fixed though usually. Steeper angles require the clipped head so that one nail does not catch on its adjacent one when fired.

Commercial sheds are build on stuff not much more than 1x1. They stand up and keep the rain off stuff. Much depends on what you want the shed for.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for the replies.

Like you, I think the wiki might be talking about workshops rather than sheds for storage.

I don't know what I'll do about a nailer. I suppose I should see what they cost to hire first. I plan to do some stud walls, so a first fix nailer would get used again.

OTOH air tools might be cheaper (only I don't have a compressor yet!) and have the disadvantage of a hose to trip over.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred