help, garage roof

I would like to prevent water from percolating from an old garage roof I have. However I want a cheap solution. I was thinking in terms of plastic sheets nailed to the sides. Does anyone have any tips in terms of plastic sheet make and do B&Q sell this sort of thing?
Thks
"David" wrote | I would like to prevent water from percolating from an old garage | roof I have. However I want a cheap solution. I was thinking in | terms of plastic sheets nailed to the sides. | Does anyone have any tips in terms of plastic sheet make and do | B&Q sell this sort of thing?
B&Q do have big plastic sheets (flexible) in I think blue and translucent; they're in the 'cement department' in my local.
Owain

You can buy tins of liquid felt (liquid bitumen), which you paint on with a mop and big soft paint brush, which should help to seal the whole roof again. The amount you need will depend on the area you need to cover, but a 5 litre tin should cost around the 20 mark from a roofing merchants, and this is enough to give two decent coats on about 3 sq mtrs of flat roof.
Have a web search for "Liquid Felt" or "Liquid Bitumen" to see if you can get more info' on it.

I'm just about to recover my shed roof with bitumen sheeting, which cost me 10 for a 1m*10m roll from a DIY shop and seems cheap enough to me. Plastic sheet will get ultra violet decay very quickly and I'm expecting my stuff will last 5-10 years.
Anna -- ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plasterwork, plaster conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling and pargeting |____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 07976 649862

Do you think a shop like B&Q could have this?

I'm trying to repair my roof too - old asbestos roof and it's leaking right by where the lights are inside ... eek! Problem is, I'm trying to use that stick on roof repair roll stuff, but the roof has probably decades worth of moss growth, which I can scrape off with a stick, but it doesn't come anywhere close to being a clean, dry and smooth surface to stick the stuff on.
Any recommendations on how to quickly get it all off? It's a very awkward area that I can't easily reach - don't want to stand on the roof in case it caves in!

Wash the roof off with a hose and soft sweeping brush. Then give it a coating of liquid bitumen. Place pieces of roofing felt over the holes and stick them in place with felt adhesive, which also comes in a tin and is painted on. This should keep you dry for a good few years, and stop the surface of the roofing sheets from taking the brunt of any further harsh weather.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Does that mean you don't rate that tape stuff then?

I'm not that keen on any adhesives lasting in all weathers for any decent length of time.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Staples are probably cheaper and better.

They do, but not as cheaply as a builders' merchant e.g. <http://www.cwberry.com/epb2.01/02-construction / 02-19-belowground-other/membrane-dpm.htm>