Surrey flange

Do any of the big DIY shops sell surrey flanges?

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Err, I'd have thought that a telephone call to your nearest shed would have given you the answer to that question!

Reply to
Wanderer

The only place I've found is this:

"

"

Reply to
BigWallop

Yep,

I got mine from B&Q Warehouse a few years ago, it is possible that they call them something else, failing that use one of the plumbers merchants, they all stock them.

David.

Reply to
David

Hello BigWallop

Where I got mine. Not recommended.

Reply to
Simon Avery

Hello Rob

That reminds me, must email Screwfix and suggest they stock them. Annoying that this was the only thing out of a massive order they couldn't supply.

To answer your question, not in my experience. B&Q Warehouse /might/ (ring first), but none of the normal sheds do.

I got mine from AndyPlumb online, but it took over a week to arrive as their online ordering system doesn't tell the staff what you've bought, so I can't really recommend them. Get one from a proper plumbers centre.

Reply to
Simon Avery

Someone please help me out a bit here - what's a surrey flange when it's at home?

PoP

PoP

I cannot understand why anyone would want to use B&Q etc for anything. I realise it can be daunting for anyone who is not in some sort of the building game to go into any wholesalers (electrical/plumbing or building) but the staff in these places are usually quite helpful, certainly knowledgeable and they stock what you need at better prices. There are not many prices on the net at Screwfix etc that a local wholesaler does not compare with and you get the parts instantly (you do know that the postman waits behind a bush until you nip out for a few minutes before being unable to deliver your parcel).

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I got mine from Wickes about 6 months ago. Although when I came to try and fit the bugger I couldn't get the fitting from the top of the cylinder and used an essex flange instead.

Pop - it's a fitting that allows you to take off another outlet from the top of a hot water cylinder without drilling a new hole. I would guess it is most often used when fitting a power shower.

Jim

Reply to
JimM

You can tell I haven't had to do a job of that nature then :)

Thanks for the explanation - sounds a bit like one of those taps you can install on a cold/hot water pipe for a washing machine feed, where the tap cuts itself into the pipe.

PoP

PoP

Usually because I can't be bothered driving 45 minutes to Screw Fix and the wholesalers are closed from 12 on Saturdays and if its something you need between then and 8am on Monday you have little choice?

Reply to
David

It screws into the top of a HW cylinder. You shorten and reconnect the existing pipe which vents and delivers HW as before. You gain a

1/2" BSP tapping on the side which is connected to a dip tube into the cylinder. To this you connect the hot side of your shower (or pump). The cold comes from the roof tank.

The purpose is so that you get a hot feed for the shower which is unaffected by water drawn from the rest of the system. If you just tap into the vent pipe it will be affected if someone turns on a hot tap.

Its brother is the Essex flange, which surprisingly is not more common.

This one requires you to make a hole in the dome of the cylinder and fit the flange into it. This requires some guts of course. The reward is that you do get a full bore feed whereas the Surrey flange does cut both flows down a little bit,

A better solution to either is when you replace the HW cylinder to order one with extra bosses fitted. This costs next to nothing. I've got a couple of spares on mine in case of future requirements.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Surrey one doesn't - it screws into the existing boss on the top of the cylinder.

WIth the Essex flange, you do need to do copper surgery. .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for the feedback Simon. I always thought they had a good reputation, but that might have been a while back.

Reply to
BigWallop

For small quantities the price issue is no longer true. There is also the advantage that you can browse the stock to find what you want out of what they've got without neccesarily knowing what it's called. B&Q tends to be more convenient, parking is easier, and there are still *some* trade counters about where you have to wait for eons for someone to serve you by telling you it's out of stock.

Reply to
Niall

Good idea - I'd check Screwfix and was a bit surprised they didn't sell it as well.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Yup... that's my use.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

I disagree. At B&Q you are paying for packaging and nice display stands. I find wholesalers much cheaper

That is what makes it daunting for people.

Not on a Sunday, which is the only time I ever have to go (as David pointed out, the wholesalers are shut then).

, and there are

I agree. But of course you never have to wait at B&Q!

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And you can *always* find someone knowledgeable to advise you! Oops - nearly got hit by a flying pig!

Reply to
Set Square

... or the knowalls in some of the departments like electrical and plumbing who insist on involving themselves in what you are buying when you don't actually want their help and then tell you how the job should be done.