hedge trimmers

Hello,

I am looking to buy my first hedge trimmer; can you give me any advice?

I notice the main difference seems to be the length of the blade:

42cm, 48 cm, and 52 cm seem to be common lengths. Is there an optimum size?

If you have a hedge 48cm wide, do you go for the 48cm blade? But if you have a hedge say, 60cm wide then doesn't it matter which blade you go for as you will have to make two passes anyway?

I've visited a few sheds; in some the trimmers are fixed to the shelves with cable ties but in others you can pick them up. One thing I have noticed is that the ones with the longer blades are heavier, so is it the case that long blade machines cause more fatigue if used for long periods of time?

I notice some of the bigger machines claim to cut larger branches. Is there an optimum size to choose here? And I presume the cordless models are not as powerful as the corded alternatives?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen