Heart valve - the final decision

OK, time for another update, as I saw a consultant again today.

My GP had also asked the opinion of a cardiologist friend of his, who had said that five years ago he would have recommended an artificial valve for a patient with my profile, but now would say go for a tissue valve. Not only are they getting much better, but he thought that advances in techniques would mean that, by the time it needed to be replaced, heart valve replacement could be a day surgery operation. He also pointed out that stem cell research is promising a total revolution in body parts replacement, which could easily happen with the same timescale.

I had already rejected an artificial valve, because of the problems of living on Warfarin. I wanted to discuss the Ross procedure with the consultant, however, he said it involves such massive trauma, that he would not want to perform it on anyone except an otherwise fit patient under the age of 40. Apparently it also carries unique risks of its own. He was also less enthusiastic about artificial valves than the previous consultant, pointing out the multiple failure modes they can experience, which do not affect tissue replacements. I tend to the view that sudden failure of a heart valve is not a desirable occurrence. So, the final decision is to have a tissue valve and watch for major advances in the next 10-20 years. The consultant told me that the success rate is 98%, with the 2% who suffer complications mainly being those who have other health problems, such as having had previous bypass surgery, which means my chances should be even better. The only question now is when, but that I will have to wait for the answer to.

Thank you to everyone who has wished me well.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

nightjar

Your medical team sounds particularly competent, and willing to discuss things with you - you are very fortunate. Please let us know how it all turns out.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Don't know many that would not wish well for you.

Best of luck and loads of it.

Reply to
ericp

Best of luck and loads of it. But not the sort of thing you'd DIY.

Reply to
1501

I can think of a certain poster on uk.legal and uk.transport.

What worries me most is that the consultant and my GP both shook my hand and wished me luck too.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

scalpel, or angle grinder for the incision?

lurker, wishing you all the best

Reply to
misterroy

This is a diy group - we'll let you off the angle grinder but that's the limit.

(Good Luck, Colin!)

Reply to
Steve Walker

I think you should wish them luck - he'll be the one doing the surgery!

Have you asked if you can take photos for the wiki?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Scalpel for the skin, angle grinder for the sternum and ribs. Though they normally use a rib cutter, bit like a big pair of bolt cutters, when they are in a hurry otherwise it's just a rib spreader, bit like a spring compressor but used in reverse.

All the best Colin, 98% for major surgery is pretty damn good is that your surgeons rate though or that of the hospital (with several surgeons) or a national rate?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

scalpel, or angle grinder for the incision?

lurker, wishing you all the best

reckon .... Angle-grinder gets it

another lurker

all the best

Reply to
nnk

Angle grinders are a bit high tech. This is more like it.

you, the best scalpels do use ceramic blades, which is much the same material as an angle grinder wheel.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I hope he doesn't need luck. I would prefer skill.

Interesting thought, although I don't expect to know much about the day of the operation, nor the one following. I've had some of the medications before. Would a 20 minute video of a failed attempt to remove my gall bladder by keyhole surgery do instead? What I find interesting is that I was in hospital for six weeks after the gall bladder removal (the keyhole became a 14" opening) but I should be out in 5-10 days after open heart surgery.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

damn good idea :) We need more surgery articles.

NT

Reply to
NT

Luck's a useful standby!

If it were me I'd be making a "while you're in there could you just ..." list.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That is liposuction on the beer belly, especially as I don't drink beer.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

That is for the surgery team that will be doing the op. Mind you, that does suggest they are not the best team in the hospital. The best team usually handles the most difficult cases, which leads to a poorer success rate. Fortunately, apart form the heart valve, which is a birth defect, my heart is otherwise healthy and I am generally fairly fit.

I must remember to weigh a kettle of water though. I'm not allowed to lift anything heavier for six weeks and a weight in kilos would mean a lot more to me.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Best of luck mate.

Reply to
David

It means "No angle grinder for you, matey."

Here's wishing you all the very best. We'll expect a full written report.

Reply to
Ian White

Good luck with it all, Colin. So far I've been lucky - just 5 days in hospital for radiotherapy, and a bit of day surgery.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well if they are not going to use an angle grinder, what about the other fall back - the SDS drill. Recommend using it in chisel mode !

All the best Colin - I don't see anyone here mentioning anything similar in their medical experience, so you're a first for this forum. Just please don't make your final report toooooo... detailed; you wouldn't want us all falling off our stools at the mention of blood.

Cheers and hope it all goes well when they finally call you in.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G