damp smell

hi all
noticed a damp smell from our bathroom last week ... after a lot of sniffing I discovered that there was a tiny leak from our boxed cistern which had seeped under the vinyl floor covering, swollen the hardboard and made about 1m2 of floorboards wet. I checked the other side of the bathroom wall, but the damp hadn't spread under the wall.
Have replaced damp floorboards, hardboard and vinyl, but can still catch a whiff of a damp smell from that corner ... all fabrics have been removed and washed, and the tiles scrubbed down ....
Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be holding the smell.
Jethro wrote:

Lift all the floor covering and leave up for a month. Then sniff around again, I'll bet the smell has gone.
Dave

Mould spores or mycelium you cannot smell damp! Chris PS would not bother to do anything unless a capacitance or radio wave damp meter says it is damp c
Why? wrote:

You can.
damp will carry a little of whatever it on around as an aroma.
You can even smell rain.
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:09:59 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Have you ever heard the phrase .. it smells LIKE rain ?
Mike P

NT Let me reiterate You cannot smell water It has no smell It consists as you know of two simple elements What you smell with damp is not water it is a mould spore / mycelium or
some other associated chemical Smelling is a chemical process and what you are recognising is NOT water!
Chris
Why? wrote:

Well, you have to say that does make sense.
Stuart Noble wrote:

Well the fact is that you can detect a change in PURE humidity, because your sense of smell improves. Even if it is simply from and of the chemistry in your own nose!
I choose to call that 'smelling' the humidity, because there is no other word for it.