Gutters Fascias and Soffits.

It may be that they have more work than they can cope with and overquote so that they don't have to say no. A very good local builder does that when he has too much work on, if you accept his quote and he manages to fit the work in you get a very pleasant surprise when his final bill is much lower - that way he gets glowing recommendations.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

I was not aware that it was showing my e mail.

Reply to
sweetheart

tired now but been in the trade over 40 years) who has taken a look at it last night and offered to paint it for £600. He says its in good cond ition and wont take above three days.

Including getting all the paint. I am not providing any materials.

Reply to
sweetheart

Read mark, learn and inwardly digest. This is all you just sent. Plus a bit extra added on its way to me.

Note the line beginning 'From:'

is your email and your computer posted this to google groups from BT account.

posting-account=UoZXNwoAAAC_Ofs00Z9O_J-lCO13HzAU

is some hashed version of your google account as well.

With access to BTs logs to find out who was assigned IP address

81.136.2.63 on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 11:18:47 +0000 I could even tell who in fact you were, or at least what BT internet account it was sent from.

8> On 24/08/16 08:45, sweetheart wrote: > > On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 8:25:56 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote: > > > > > >> > >> Sounds fair to me. Splash the cash and stop worrying - nothing can go wrong. > > > > Thanks for the reply.I dont think I want to pay that much. Why is it of all the replies yours is the only one that went to my g mail? > > > > > Probably because he sent it that way. You don't mean that that is > actually a real live email address you have used? > > Madness. 100 spams an hour if you put a live email address on t'Internet. > > > I was not aware that it was showing my e mail.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It used to be sent via Bt but it isn't any more as bt groups no longer carry DIY. I dont know how its carrying my e mail address ( except I am signed in to google groups Hence G mail. I dont use the g mail address.I just happened to check it today.

Reply to
sweetheart

Exactly.

Sound plan.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IME plastic is not low maintenance if it is white. Also, there are now maintenance problems with moss clearance from gutters in most houses. A bungalow is advantageous as a pressure washer wand can be used very easily from ground level in many cases.

Reply to
Capitol

He's right, the roof needs stripping and felt inserted.

Reply to
Capitol

Not IME. The OSB doesn't get wet as the DPC runs out to the gutter. The biggest problem is getting the felt up enough without tearing to insert the DPC under it, then renailing.

Reply to
Capitol

Not necessary. My own roof was built without anything other than the tiles, but in any spot you might choose on my roof, you will find it has three layers of tiles, such is the overlap.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I was concerned the replacing the existing might close off any planned ventilation. Modern cold loft construction might have a plastic, insect proof strip vent along the fascia top.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

retired now but been in the trade over 40 years) who has taken a look at i t last night and offered to paint it for £600. He says its in good co ndition and wont take above three days.

8 hours if you're lucky at £200 - £10 of paint = £23.75 an hour. Steep for painting.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

, retired now but been in the trade over 40 years) who has taken a look at it last night and offered to paint it for £600. He says its in good condition and wont take above three days.

an hour. Steep for painting.

So, you reckon it can be done in a day?When I did it 15 years ago, it took me nearly three weeks. OK, thats a longer time I agree. However, , it has to be cleaned and sanded down and the flaking paint rubbed back. Thats one day in itself. The house has four sides. Its not just a front and a back an d a couple of evaes.

Then it has to be under coated. Maybe two lots, I dont know what the painte r will do. I gave it one coat when I did it, but given the time and damage in some places (on layer of gloss flaking off the other) it might take more .

Then he will have to paint the top coat.

Even if he gave it only one coat of under coat and one of top coat, it isn' t going to be done in a day. Paint has to dry.

Its soffits, fascia and guttering he will be doing, not just a simple barge board across the front.

I thought £600 was reasonable so that I am not made to do it myself. I am older now and do not feel up to climbing on a chair and painting, then getting down and moving along and doing it again...... at least the man wil l have step ladders to do it. I cant do that. I do not like ladders.

I have looked at the price of paint ( and yes, I know he will get a trade d iscount) but its still around two large tins at £222.99 a tin ( for gl oss) and another £20 or so for under coat ( per tin ) .Again it is lik ely to be two tins. I used more than that if I recall.

I reckon £100 in materials.

I have checked across the internet for price estimates for painting fascias and guttering. The going rate seems to be around £700/800 .

Having said that.Your last calculation of £23.75 and hour ,I wouldnt h ave thought was out of a ball park for a skilled apprenticed workman who I can trust in this day and age. Then there is his travel expenses and of c ourse that money is before tax.

Anyway, it beasts the hell out of £4K for covering it in plastic.

Pay peanuts.... get a p ole? Is that what you think I should do? No thank s.

Reply to
sweetheart

od, retired now but been in the trade over 40 years) who has taken a look at it last night and offered to paint it for £600. He says its in goo d condition and wont take above three days.

5 an hour. Steep for painting.

Clearly I used the figure you gave of 3 days. How do I know what does & doe sn't need doing on your house.

Do what you like.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The last time I did something similar was when I was doing the loft conversion on the previous house. I replaced all the facias on three sides of the semi, and also the soffits on the front around a bay window under a bonnet roof. It cost me about £500 in materials. The neighbours had had theirs done professionally not long before and paid about £2,200 ish I seem to recall. (Note these are 2004 prices - so adjust for inflation etc)

Reply to
John Rumm