Varnishing bare wood Windsor-like chair

I have a large bare-wood Windsor chair, made (rather well) in a local carpenter's workshop. I'd like to varnish it or treat it with a similar wood finish. Any recommendations? I don't want to go to a huge amount of trouble, and I don't really like polyurethane. I'm thinking of something like Danish oil?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Multiple layers of 1/3 varnish (not water based), Danish oil, white spirits , gives a very tough and durable finish. The varnish does not need to be gl oss. You put a layer on, wait a few minutes and then remove any surplus wit h a rag. It soaks into the wood rather than sitting on top like varnish.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I prefer button polish, but that's a personal preference. Very easy to remove and refinish if necessary.

Reply to
Capitol

What finish do you want?

I personally like very natural wood and use sprayable cellulose lacquers.

But that is a personal preference.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Timothy Murphy writes

I had some old Ercol dining chairs dip stripped, and finished them with Danish Oil. Delighted with the results. Probably 20 years ago now, so cannot remember the exact process, but plenty of fine wire wool and several coats of oil. I think I applied the final coat of oil using fine wire wool. The results were stunning - far better than I expected. The chairs are still in regular use.

Reply to
News

Whatever you do, try and invest the time to get it rubbed down as smooth as you can. Nothing worse than badly prepared wood that is then varnished.

Reply to
Andrew

+1. Water thin white spirit diluted oil based poly gives a good protected surface without the risk of a "high Build" look of undiluted varnish. Added advantage is that any runs occur immediately and can be brushed out at the time of application rather than appearing later in the drying process.

Gently denib between coats with 400grit paper and wipe over with tack rags before re-coating. I'm using this process at the moment on DIY built furniture and getting two coats on per day in this heat. Otherwise 1 coat per day in a scrupulously clean dust free atmosphere.

Reply to
Bob Minchin