Fascias and Soffits Replacement Pricing

I wonder if someone here in the know might be able to comment on a quote I just received for PVC replacement of all timber roofline material.

The property is a large bungalow of cruciform shape so with four gable ends. Total fascia length 56m (including eaves protectors, soffits and guttering) Total barge board length 42m (including soffits)

18 month price all inclusive £14,192 1 week price with discount for allowing photos, etc £11,029 Includes removal of soffits that I have already had tested and found to be Amosite (Brown Asbestos).

This pricing excludes the two garages, one twin and one large single Estimated to be three days work

I priced the materials for bungalow plus both garages with a view to DIY; this came to just over £1,400 for the same fit and interestingly the same PVC supplier as the quoting company use (PBS of King's Lynn and Norwich). I had priced the disposal of the asbestos sheet at £99 per 200kg (Norfolk CC) plus double poly wrap so say £300.

I would say that trying to do the job alone would be impractical because of the length of boards involved so I would pay for help Allowing £1,000 for that gives total job price of less than £3,000 ... anyone want a job?

Mike (North west Norfolk)

Reply to
mail-veil

About £4K. For 1 weeks work, 2 people.

Reply to
Capitol

$%(*&^

sounds a lot more sensible

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How many quotes did you get? Not the same situation but when my mother had the soffits, gutters and downpipes done on a 3 bed semi detached house the quotes ranged from £1500 to £5000.

The lowest quote was from a small local family run firm that came by recommendation. They quoted one price with no hard sell afterwards. Job completed in one day - two men + the boss for a third of a day.

The highest quote was from one of the bigger operators and was subsequently reduced in stepped amounts with daily phone calls afterwards. One quote was rejected because of the bullshit sales method including the phone call back to the boss for that extra discount.

The alarm bells should be ringing if you are getting that discount of £3000 just because your property has been specially selected in the area for promotional purposes and you have to sign up immediately.

As you have costed the materials and some of the cost of disposal your quotes look like the classic "we don't want the job" but if we do get it we can sub-contract it off to another company and still make a large profit.

Probably the same advertising message on the post that took down a lot of the NHS systems recently.

Reply to
alan_m

Scaffolding or scaffold towers? I have done a couple of 5m lengths of structural uPVC fascia on ladders but I'd not fancy c.100m.

Reply to
Robin

Gables increase the cost, because they take longer to do, I learned when I had mine done. Having to use scaffolding won't help keep the price down.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Thanks to all for your suggestions; I'll keep my response to just one

I have only had this one quote which was unsolicited; they were doing work for a neighbour and just touting round.

I may get another couple of quotes just out of interest to see if they are consistent for the industry in my area.

I wasn't surprised at their being two prices; seems to be par for the course. I did advise her that there was no point in ringing her boss and coming back with another price; she insisted on phoning him anyway and made no attempt to do the usual.

Capitol said "About £4K. For 1 weeks work, 2 people". That's just an average labour rate isn't it; not including material I presume?

Robin asked Scaffolding or scaffold towers? I did say this is a bungalow; she didn't quote for either so I presume just simple staging to get a couple of feet up and tower for the barge boards

The ridge is not high; I cannot stand anywhere near upright in the loft. There are hard standings all around so no soft ground issues.

Phil L. said A small local building firm who advertises in the local rag. Don't pay more than 5K and that includes gutters and downpipes. That is the price I had in the back of my mind before the knock on the door yesterday.

Keeping up with the spirit of things I still have a mind to do it myself! Just hire in lad to help me for a few days with the long bits; I can then diddle around with the gable box ends etc to my heart's content. After all, if I don't do it I might end up watching daytime TV while drinking larger!

Mike .

Reply to
mail-veil

Never ever buy anything from someone who cold calls at your door. I wonder if the conversation started " I'm not selling anything....but"

It could be worse. You may end up watching daytime TV and then realise that you are not drinking alcohol.

The problem these days with so many channels and nothing to watch is that the low budget daytime programs have morphed into being prime time programs.

Reply to
alan_m

Quite the reverse .. it was "I see you have double glazed windows and nice new composite door and was wondering if you would be interested in us giving a quote for your roofline products"

So true.

I have decided I am going to have a crack at the garages first; they are the easiest and the cost of the products I need exceed the minimum order for free delivery so why not!

Happy days, Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

Something I forgot to mention, and it happens all the time is that they expect you to sign a contract and pay deposit for the whole job and this is before the surveyor comes round and almost certainly identifies issues (not additional customer requirements) that neither the lead gatherer nor the salesperson picked up on and promptly wants to increase the contract price.

Sure enough the sales girl hadn't foggiest idea how they would get over the conservatory on one of the gable ends where the ridge is and almost to the top of the gable so scaffold would be useless unless they hung upside down. Easy I said pop off the two roofing panels nearest to the wall and access from inside the conservatory. This was a concept she couldn't grasp and said that she would leave it to the surveyor to decide on ... i.e. price up!

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

I agree, the quote given is way over the top.

It is a straight forward DIY job, especially given that it is a bungalow. Your material costs should come in at well under £1,000.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote on 21/06/2017 :

Don't touch a company which operates like this, with a barge pole. I had ten windows redone and two outside doors, by a local company. They gave a quote, did the job, then there was no rush to pay them. A deposit is not strictly necessary, if you obviously own your own home and have signed a contract.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Harry; I am convinced to get on with it.

The materials are just over £1400; it is a lot of house plus the two garages.

Cheers

Reply to
mail-veil