Fascias and Soffits - Advice Please

Hi,

I am getting quotes for fascias and soffits.

The house is 16 years old and the existing timber seems in good condition (looking at it from ground level) so I wasn't thinking of replacing it, just capping it.

I'm not sure what questions to ask or what to look out for when getting the quotes so any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Derek.

To e-mail me please remove the big cat first.

Reply to
Derek

Capping it can result in it getting damp and rotten unseen, which could spread to structural timbers before you realise. If you are considering going the plastic route, I would suggest replacement of timber. However, if the timber is in good condition, why are you not just having it repainted?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The biggest problem with capping fascia is the getting suffecent over hang of the roof covering in to the guttering. If the underlay felt is of the bitumin type, this will need renewing at the eave. Ask the installer to proved a OFFES system. ( Over fascia felt support eave system. This takes place of the felt over hang into the gutter and supports the felt up to the first 9" up the rafters and will help stop the ingress of wind blown rain getting in between the timber fascia and the new PVC.

Keith

Reply to
keith_765

Hi, Thanks for that - it has given me food for thought. I was trying to get the house as near maintenance-free as possible before I retire, but perhaps I'll get someone to repaint instead (can't do it myself unfortunately). Thanks, Derek.

To e-mail me please remove the big cat first.

Reply to
Derek

Replacement with plastic will probably last longer than decorating, but even that doesn't last forever. A few months ago, I had to fix one of my gable-end bits back on which had started flapping around at one end where the fixings had come out (nailed, 15 years old, now screwed).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel