Guarantee on new boiler DIY installed

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:38:40 +0000, PoP wrote:

No, the law allows you to get building control to say you did a good job....at your own expence.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:21:43 +0000, "Ed Sirett"

Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but my interpretation is that it will be the householder who is required to provide certificates for their property. The fact that I might have carried out work on that site will not by necessity make me liable for issuing a certificate.
Or if it does then I expect a ten-fold increase in my prices for doing this job. I might charge 30 (or less) to change a light fitting, and add 300 to the invoice for the local council to come and check my work.
All in all I think this will worsen the situation that the government were trying to solve - to get rid of the cowboys from the industry. What will most likely happen is that the cowboys will go even further underground and want to be paid in untraceable cash for any work carried out, so that certificate requirements cannot be validated.
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:28:21 +0000, PoP wrote:

As I said at some length in another thread. The situation is working for Windows and Gas, but I think there are several reasons why it's not going to change anything very much for electrics and water.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

drunk
enough
complaint.
it
Very few will OK DIY work. Best to do your research. Ask Qs here. Then when you have it running, get a landlords certificate, because you are thinking of renting out. .
"IMM" wrote

Which is why I specified "At least the Gas connection will be CORGI certified as 'safe'"
I didn't countenance that he'd sign off the whole shebang.
Cheers,
Paul.

If he doesn't, you'll need to get building control approval, assuming you're not one to take your chances.
Christian.

This is about to be outlawed. All that will be required is proof of servicing. And hopefully, these restrictive practices by all manufacturers will be banned soon.
--
Is the hardness of the butter proportional to the softness of the bread?*

Dave Plowman wrote:

Not only that, many people seem to forget (retailers included) that when you buy, your contract is with the seller and not the manufacturer (assuming you are not buying direct). Whatever warranty terms the manufacturer may wish to provide / impose does not alter the statutory rights you can exercise with the seller.
--
Cheers,

John.

You're mixing two different things. There may be cases where a boiler malfunctions because of substandard gas installation (somebody somewhere has probably connected a big via a length of garden hose) but I would suspect that most likely warranty claims are to do with existing systems not be flushed out properly, failure to provide a bypass when required etc all of which are completely uncontrolled.

bit
No doubt somebody will flame me but here goes anyway!
If you don't have it installed by a CORGI who certifies it then there is a legal requirement to have the installation approved by the local Building Control department of your Council. This will cost but is essential because when you come to sell the house you will be required to certify that all BCO approvals have been complied with. In any case your insurers could have a get out if you had a fire that could be blamed on a duff install if you cannot prove it was insatlled according to the rules.
As for the guarantee it is the supplier not the manufacturer who is responsible. Any manufacturer's guarantee is in addition to your statutory rights under the various bits of sale of goods legislation. A one year guarantee would not stand up in court because the boiler should last much longer than that. Five years at least!
Peter Crosland wrote:

I agree that BCO approval should be required - but from what I can see, all it deals with is energy efficiency etc (TRVs, timeclocks, SEDBUK rating). The system currently meets all these requirements (apart from SEDBUK rating as its an v.old boiler) and once the boiler is replaced, the SEDBUK rating will be fine.
It seems the requirements came in 2002 - however when we bought the house in 2003 there wasn't any mention boilers/water cylinders in the declarations made either by ourselves or the sellers.

As I understand it, there isn't a statutory right to having something last a certain amount of time. There's certainly a 6 year limit on claiming for manufacturing faults (different from things just dying which weren't present at time of manufacture). Its wholly possible that problems with a basic boiler which happen after 18 months are likely to be manufacture related - eg. heat exchangers don't just fail in 18 months if inhibitor etc has been used correctly.
Thanks for the advice though.

present
What I am saying is that a reasonable length of time for a boiler to last would be much more than one year. Many unscrupulous suppliers and manufacturers try to hide behind a worthless "guarantee" even though the law requires that it should be a reasonable time. Given that boilers often last for twenty years or more to try and limit liability to one year is manifestly unreasonable.
Peter Crosland wrote:

I agree with what you're saying. Enforcing it is not always easy though. :)

:)
Agreed but as the late president Nixon once said " When you have them by the balls: their hearts and minds will soon follow"!
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:40:17 -0000, "Peter Crosland"

True. The possible trouble here is that the supplier could claim that the intent of the sale was commercial and therefore exempt.
Slippery shoulder I know, but....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Peter Crosland wrote in message ...

What a lovely quote!

Probably one of the few true things Nixon said!

Which is a shame, 'cos it's normally attributed to Chuck Colson (Nixon's Special Assistant)
--
Selah