Guarantee on new boiler DIY installed

... and how many days was it before you could see out again? :-)

I suppose they do the whole procedure by rote......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Erm yes.

I asked him if a bathroom has some sort of

I see you have the same winning approach offline.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

practically

Always a winner.

Reply to
IMM

Must be a new spelling ;-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

But not a snipper?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

...NEVER A SNIPPER!

220 lines of crap and wasted bandwith snipped.
Reply to
Mike Barnard

I am the greatest snipper in the world.

Reply to
IMM

It doesn't make a frig of difference. He has the certificate of competence, you don't.

Why not do all of the wall mounting, electrical and water connections and call in the CORGI (but obviously not this one) for the Gas bits. You'll still save money hand over fist.

At least the Gas connection will be CORGI certified as 'safe' via this route.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

The point is whether the work is safe. I don't care whether people think I'm competent - I care that the work is done properly and safely. Him having a certificate won't matter if the thing explodes or gasses us. The fact I don't have a certificate doesn't mean I can't do a good job.

Is this something you've managed to get done before? I've heard the following in this group:

Don't buy the boiler in advance - the fitter will either refuse to fit it (claiming not one he does) or he'll bump up the labour costs as he doesn't get to keep the discount he would have got if he'd bought it for me. Don't try getting the guy to come in to do just the gas work - its too little work for them and not worth their time (ie. we'll be saving money hand over fist - and he'll be getting peanuts). Don't try and find someone to commission it for you after you've installed it - they're not going to put their name to someone else's work and take the blame if there was a problem he missed.

All these suggestions have been made by people before and various people have made those kinds of replies.

Incidentally, doing it this way means we need to make sure we've got the boiler installed for a certain date - pre-booked with the engineer. Either we give a little more time to do it than might be necessary (to make sure its ready for when he comes) and risk having the heating off for a longer period than necessary. Or we don't give ourselves any extra time and risk overrunning and him having to come back another day (which may not be the next day). During that time we've got no heating.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

The problem is that John Prescott deems that you wouldn't do a good job, so no matter how perfect it might be that's all that really counts.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

Very few will OK DIY work. Best to do your research. Ask Qs here. Then when you have it running, get a landlords certificate, because you are thinking of renting out. .

Reply to
IMM

No, the real problem is that Tony Blair deems that John Prescott always does a good job, so no matter how bad it might actually be that's all that really counts.

;)

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I'm not sure that's true. Bliar might be a lot of things but I don't consider him without intelligence.

It probably suits him to have a buffoon as deputy leader because Bliar knows full well that Prescott will never be a serious contender for the leadership.

The real contender lives next door. And I feel Bliar is waiting for the right opportunity for Brown to get the hot seat, so that Brown is seen as the real culprit for the countries woes.

All we need is for the right European presidency role to come up and Bliars got it made.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

No, the law allows you to get building control to say you did a good job....at your own expence.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but my interpretation is that it will be the householder who is required to provide certificates for their property. The fact that I might have carried out work on that site will not by necessity make me liable for issuing a certificate.

Or if it does then I expect a ten-fold increase in my prices for doing this job. I might charge £30 (or less) to change a light fitting, and add £300 to the invoice for the local council to come and check my work.

All in all I think this will worsen the situation that the government were trying to solve - to get rid of the cowboys from the industry. What will most likely happen is that the cowboys will go even further underground and want to be paid in untraceable cash for any work carried out, so that certificate requirements cannot be validated.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

"IMM" wrote

Which is why I specified "At least the Gas connection will be CORGI certified as 'safe'"

I didn't countenance that he'd sign off the whole shebang.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

If he doesn't, you'll need to get building control approval, assuming you're not one to take your chances.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

As I said at some length in another thread. The situation is working for Windows and Gas, but I think there are several reasons why it's not going to change anything very much for electrics and water.

Reply to
Ed Sirett