Grand designs

8 Metres of kitchen units and some on the other side...yikes! thats some junk storage not to mention a £1000 H&C tap

Personally the house looked like the annex of my old school in the seventies.

Reply to
George

In message , George writes

yeah 'kin hell, that's a lot of money for an ugly bit of s steel

Or a factory reception area

Reply to
geoff

Bit like living in an echo chamber too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now that is something that applies to almost all the featured buildings throughout all series of GD! (With honourable exceptions such as 'the timber house in the woods'.) Obviously that is based on what I can hear on the soundtrack - the reality could be much better, or worse.

It seems to be common to the majority of modern structures. I have lost count of the number of times I have felt something very close to pain in my ears within such buildings as shopping centres/shops, offices and, seemingly worst of all, restaurants.

I guess that they will be reading comments on their white MacBooks (rather than PCs or even MacBook Pros) in order to fit into that house... structure.

Reply to
Rod

I liked the way when they were trying to convince the presenter that it was homely and a reflection of their personalities(!) he just kind of smiled and said "yeeees"

Reply to
adder1969

Yup. The current fashion for stone or bare wood floors and little in the way of soft furnishings. Interesting that they went for some special paint that absorbed smells but obviously didn't care about the house being noisy inside - ie from noises produced within the house.

BTW you can be sure if it's obvious the house is echoey when they're using personal mics on the talent the reality will be very much worse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I liked the way he said "The build is in advance of one month",of course it is the guy's an architect and knows how to get round planning permission and red tape.

Duh!

Reply to
George

snip

I think it probably was a reflection of their personalities. Anal, lifeless, emotionless.

Bedrooms with one wall open to all sounds from the house and vice versa... I take it that they are very quiet in the bedroom together... or what about their kids when they are a couple of years older and want some privacy.

not a very fun place to live.

cheers

David

Reply to
DM

Few "Grand Designs" houses are. Minimalism sucks to live in; all that wood, stone & glass is cold and echoey and shows the dust terribly, open plan allows cooking smells all over the house (and who wants to sit in their expensive living room and look at the ruins of a meal?) and is hard to heat (and cool). No, I don't want to live in a crumbling Medieval ruin, either, but I don't want to live in something that looks like the lobby of an airport hotel, either.

Reply to
Huge

=A0 London SW

The =A31000sqm glass was cool though.

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Interestingly, if you go to - which is listed on the GD site for this project - they have a special "acoustic" symbol for their wall finishings (paint to us). Unfortunately, none of them seem to have the symbol higlighted. (As I read it, none of the paints have that attribute, so I wondered why they had such a symbol at all?).

If what they hear in reality is worse than what I hear it must be like living in a public lavatory. And I suppose that glass is one of the most acoustically reflective surfaces available.

Reply to
Rod

Yup.

The only way to actually get any clarity of speech in such environments is to kill the midrange completely. I was nearly on the point of designing a 'whisper filter' for PA systems in such places when I left that work area forever..

I feel most comfortable surrounded by wood, carpets, and cubby holes..a sort of 19th century library. Flat echoic bright open spaces are hateful.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Couldn't agree more.

Reply to