Gas Hob Ignition problem

A mate came round this evening with the igniter module our of a gas hob which was sparking continously. It has two mains input terminals and four hgh voltage outputs one to each ring. A mechanical button, operated by a push rod from a button on the hob works a simple switch inside the module We opened it up and it was perfectly clean inside and the switch showed no signs of sticking.
So with care I connected the input terminals to the mains and improvised a spark gap of a few mm. Then with a plastic tool operated the switch, lo and behold a nice stream of sparks. Let go of the switch and the sparks stop - just as it should do. He has put is back in the hob, and it sparks by itself. I can't think why this should be or what the hell is going on.
I have a horrible feeling the next phone call will be to get me round to his place for a look.
I can either take the phone of the hook or consult the collective wisdom of the NG
A seach of Google groups has not thrown up suggestions other than lack of cleanliness or dampness. This hob is squeaky clean and the module had no grease in sight.
Any Ideas please?
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

Could the pushrod be jamming?
--
Grunff

If it was working OK on the test bench, then it sounds very like a fault on the mechanism on the hob itself. Get him to clean the button and the rod assembly before switching the mains power back on.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop wrote in message ...

Mercifully the phone has not rung today or at least I have not heard it. Maybe something to do with wearing ear defenders all day and using a 2HP router.
If he does call I'll pass on your suggestions
Regards
Bob